Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Global PTT and muting the microphone outside MCE

It has been mentioned in other threads, that the mutekey of MCE is not reliable for everyone lately and a PTT button for talking to the FO has been requested.

I found a little freeware tool called "MicMute" which can be used to solve both aspects. MicMute allows to assign a hotkey that can be used to globally mute / unmute the microphone in Windows.

Here is how I use it:

I choose a hotkey for MicMute and then assign this hotkey to a joystick button (my "global PTT button") via FSUIPC both for pressing the button and for releasing the button. Aditionally I assign the same hotkey also to the button I use as the MCE-PTT button - but only for releasing the button.

Before starting the sim I set the microphone to "Mic off" in MicMute. I don't use the MCE mutekey at all.

Now my "global PTT button" works like this: I press and hold it - microphone is turned on - and speak to my FO (or ground or purser). I release the button and the microphone is turned off again.

To talk to ATC I press and release the MCE-PTT button shortly to turn on the microphone. Then I press and hold it as usual to talk to ATC. When I release it, the microphone is turned off again.

Pressing and releasing the MCE-PTT button shortly also works as a switch for the microphone in case I want it to be open for a longer period of time, for example when reading a checklist.

It works great.

And MCE itself works even better than ever before. Probably because it does not need to scan the noise coming from the microphone anymore all the time - because the microphone now generally is off most of the time.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Upvote 1