Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sean Reeder

FSX using Windows Vista RC1 (beta)

Guest davewins

I am curious if anybody has used FSX (either retail/beta/demo) on the newest Windows Vista pre-release beta (rc1). If so does it play better or should I not waste my time. I am assuming it doesn't because it's not dx10 but I could be wrong. This will help a lot of people.EDIT: For the people that don't have FSX retail yet or didn't bother to read the readme yet..."Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Microsoft Windows VistaFlight Simulator X is designed to run on the Windows Vista operating system. Flight Simulator X was released prior to the completion of Windows Vista."FS9 is running so good and so much better then fsx for a reason. Unfortunatley we are going to have to wait for Vista to really appreciate FSX. I really don't understand why they even came out with FSX so early.

Guest Sean Reeder

I would try it but 2 things make it impossible for me.1. i dont have fsx retail yet2. The partition that has vista on it is barely large enough for it so i would not be able to install fsx on the same partition as RC1

Guest BrianC

I am running retail FSX on Vista RC1. There are occasional issues like sound disappearing, or more annoying sometimes I get a black screen when I go from the game to menus or dialogs and have to hit the win/start key to go back to desktop and back to FSX. I figure that these issues are because of Vista.I am no longer running XP because I somehow damaged the partition so I cannot comment about performance differences. But the performance does not seem different than when I was running demo 1 on XP.Vista RC1 is nice but there are still bugs and surely there is still plenty of opportunity for optimization of the OS before it is released. I do not recommend that most users run out to install Vista just yet... certainly not because of an expectation of better performance at this time.Brian

Guest davewins

Thank you Bryan. I think I am going to hold off on the trouble of downloading and installing rc1 just to find out that fsx is playing the same. It seems like fsx is meant for retail windows vista with DX10.

I did some testing of FSX demo and RC1 (5600 x86)vs Win XP, and I posted some data here a week or so ago. I since installed the revised demo, and with the same display settings the demo was unplayable due to massive stutters. I didn't try to install demo 2 on win xp yet.Meanwhile I stopped testing since I am going to wipe my vista and do a clean install of either 5728 (which I have in hand) or perhaps hold off a couple days if I can get a hold of 5744.Right now I'm not sure I can carve out enough space to do a full install of FSX retail on both OS's, and still keep my FS9 install intact.scott s..