Sign in to follow this  
Paul

FSX RTM blurries and FSX.CFG tweak.

This tip needs to be emphasized more. I bought FSX retail at Best Buy last night and spent hours very disappointed with the blurries. I was convinced I somehow purchased the first Beta since the blurry "fix" didn't seem to be there. Then I searched Avsim and found this post saying that the CFG setting is NOT included in the Retail. I went ahead and put that in and performance is now great...I think this setting does more than just fix the blurries. Without it, whenever I would pan around the VC, FSX would stutter and choke as the blurries popped up everywhere... then it would continue to stutter as it tried to catch up with the textures. Now that the blurries are gone, everything is also more fluid with less stutters.I'm disappointed this tweak isn't set by default... it worries me it will turn off newcomers to FSX who don't necessarily read Avsim, let alone find this tip.

Guest pem227

I read that Microsoft will soon be going live with a redo of the http://www.fsinsider.com/ website. Since this site is inserted into the FSX interface I think that would be the best method of communicating news, faq's, and fixes to FSX users that don't read the Avsim forums like we do. I assume that is probably part of the plan.Maybe a mini hotfix to write this line into the fsx.cfg could be offered via fsinsider. It might also be helpful to pin this topic so it stays visible for now. Phil

This might be a dumb question... I have the FSX final demo but I can't find the FSX.cfg and its not in the documents and settings/application data/microsoft/fsxdemo etc. Anyone know where this little bugger is?

Guest pem227

Should be under Documents and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftFSXfsx.CFG for the retail release.

Guest davewins

I'd like to follow that up with a question that may sound dumb of my own. What exactly do I do?? Do I just set it at .33 or should i go higher or lower then that?? Thanx.

Guest Derek D

Although the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION isn't explicity placed in the CFG file by default, I believe the sim uses a default value of 0.33 regardless. I'm experiencing a bad case of the blurries on my computer and one of the first things I did was add this line to the file, but as expected I didn't notice an improvement. Unfortunately, increasing the value to .50 didn't do anything either other than to reduce my fps.I expect my problem stems from a lack of video memory (I only have a measly 128mb :-roll) so my next "tweak" will be to purchase a new graphics card...

Guest pem227

This is taken from the link provided in the original post. FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33This variable determines the amount of CPU time given to loading scenery data as a fraction of the time spent rendering. For example, the default value of 0.33 means that for every 3 milliseconds spent rendering, FS will give 1 millisecond to the scenery loader. If necessary, you can use a larger value to devote more time to loading. Or, if you don't have a problem with the blurries and you want slightly higher frame rates, then you can use a smaller value. Again, this variable is only available in the final release version of FSX and is not available in the beta or demo.

I hope that these tips are kept somewhere safe so those of us who do not have FSX yet, will be able to reference everyone's contributions to making it better......Thank you!Waiting for FSX in Los Angeles..