Sign in to follow this  
NavyAce

Vertgo Hellcat Engine Instruments Not Reading Correctly

Hello again,

Here I am with another problem. As all of you know by now I have recently begun playing with my FSX game after a long layoff and as I have been paying much more attention to detail this time around I have uncovered an inaccuracy that needs addressing. The aircraft in question is my Vertigo F6F Hellcat. Previously I flew the aircraft just kind of messing around with it but now I am trying to fly it accurately with my Grumman F6F-3/5 Pilot's Flight Manual. The plane loads normally but I have found that the game does not present normal engine readings. For example, when I start the engine, the oil pressure immediately goes from zero straight to 200+ psi and stays there until the engine is shut down. In addition, the Cylinder Head Temperature reads about 70 degrees C no matter how long the engine has been running. On one flight I started up, did an engine check, a takeoff, and an extended climb at Military Power with the cowl flaps fully closed and the reading never got much above 100 degrees even though the engine limit in the manual says 232 degrees C is the maximum allowable. The oil temperature reading never varies much from 25 degrees C, when the normal operating range was 40-85 degrees C. The mixture control should be set from Auto-Rich after takeoff to Auto-Lean according to the manual, but when I set it this way the game gives me a message saying my engine is losing power because the mixture is improperly set. I purchased the Hellcat in 2008 right after it was released but was working at the time so I didn't have much time for in depth play with it, and got involved in combat flight simming after that, so these things are just coming to light now. I have tried finding help by going to the Vertigo website but I believe they shut down in 2013 so no support from them is currently available. Does anyone know if this was a bug in the initial release of the plane, and is there a fix for it? Or do I just need to live with things as they are? I would appreciate any input as I try to keep things as realistic as possible and this is an annoying quirk in an otherwise good addition to my aircraft stable.

NavyAce

That takes me back , I don't recall who did the airfile on that model but within its tables are Cylinder Head Temperature and oil temperature , these can be set to have a greater rate of change .

While its not onscreen atm  I believe the indicators were calibrated , but recall the degree of fidelity expected and delivered has changed over time . Current practice has parameters controlled outside the sim to permit the sort of finesse we see today .

The airfile is as close to black magic as you can find in sim , fiddling with these is addictive , be warned ..

Best CJ