Sign in to follow this  
jt233

Questions regarding the EFB

So I've flown the 800 a few times before but really haven't used the EFB. Today I decided to do a flight in the 800 and finally decided to use the EFB to calculate my takeoff performance for me. I was able to put in all the correct data and was able to get the proper calculations but was confused on how to understand the data. I know it give me the vspeeds and the recommended flap settings but I would also like to know if the runway I plan to use is long enough bases on the current weights and weather conditions.

So would it warn me if the runway I selected is too short based on the current aircraft weight and weather conditions or do you still have to determine if the runway is long enough through other means?

Also in the landing section of the performance calculator what does quick turn around weight and time mean?

Thanks

Jason Thiers

2 hours ago, jt233 said:

Also in the landing section of the performance calculator what does quick turn around weight and time mean?

It is the time required at a given weight to allow for sufficient cooling of the brakes before attempting another takeoff. This time period is required to ensure the brakes will have cooled down sufficiently after landing, primarily to ensure you are able to stop the aircraft safely in the unlikely event of a rejected takoff. 

See Page PI.28.9 and the table on page PD 12.6 in the B747-8 FCOM for additional information.

Edited by berts

On 3/6/2020 at 2:05 PM, Captain Kevin said:

If the runway was too short for a given weight, it would tell you.

Awesome thanks.

Jason Thiers

On 3/6/2020 at 3:34 PM, berts said:

It is the time required at a given weight to allow for sufficient cooling of the brakes before attempting another takeoff. This time period is required to ensure the brakes will have cooled down sufficiently after landing, primarily to ensure you are able to stop the aircraft safely in the unlikely event of a rejected takoff. 

See Page PI.28.9 and the table on page PD 12.6 in the B747-8 FCOM for additional information.

I figured it had something to do with this but didn't know it had to with brake temps.

Jason Thiers