Sign in to follow this  
AndrejS

terrain.dll ctd (again)

Hi, although title says it again, it's not quite the same. 

No problems with terrain.dll or any other dll ever, but yesterday, i started modifiying my initial Isle of Man scenery (made only from photoreal layer and shp files converted into working scenery using ScenProc). Everything worked just fine, but when after adding some more vegetation (just started modifying and wanted to see the first result) and saving the modified scenery, troubles began. I've uninstalled the old scenery (made all the modifying into a fresh folder), exited the p3d, reentered, installed new (with additional vegetation) scenery and until i try to "touch" the modified tile, all's fine. But if i try to set off from the EGNS, scenery won't load (it hangs at 70% and then CTD). 

Ok, obviously i've made a mistake adding those trees, but what on earth i could have done wrong? I've only selected tree objects from the autogendescriptions.xml, so no 3rd party autogen. My unmodified Man scenery works fine. 

EDIT : Just made one last check (three actually) before posting and yeah, now it works, like it never ever had any problems. Made two approaches from EGNL and one takeoff from EGNS, no problem. So, it is just another unexplicable terrain.dll mistery. 

Win 7 Home (SP1), i7 2600@3.4, RAM 16gb, gtx 1080 Ti, ssd disks, DELL U2715H

P3d ver 4.5.12.30293, TrackIr v5, T16000M + TWCS

I had P3D CTD with a fail of terrain.dll earlier last week for no apparent reason.  Not sure what's going on. 

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Most common terrain.dll crash causes are incompatible or improperly configured scenery and TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 entry.

Edited by Evros

Thanks Evros. 

is that something that a 3rd party terrain/scenery add on can cause?

Thanks,

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

11 hours ago, richjb2 said:

Thanks Evros. 

is that something that a 3rd party terrain/scenery add on can cause?

Thanks,

Rich 

Absolutely. Especially if scenery is developed for older platform than P3Dv4. They might not even refuse to work outright, but instead cause intermitent instability.