Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

Adding a second PC - would it be beneficial?

3 hours ago, c912039 said:

With my background in hardware,network and systems engineering, Ive always used networked resources in conjunction with my main flight sim platform.

I have 5 other 'PCs', plus a Windows surface tablet, in addition to my main P3D rig, but that number could be viewed as 'obsessive'. For me, I find its so easy for me to set these up, so I do.

The 5 PCs are actually virtual machine's running windows on an Enterprise VMWare server, which very few would probably have access to or experience in setting up such an infrastructure.

But offloading 1 product at a time to a networked laptop or older PC is doable and achievable, if you take small steps to get there.  Once you have achieved this, then moving more products off your main rig will come easier.

My time online is limited, and I cant guarantee I would be able to respond straight away, but Id be happy to help contribute where I can in this thread to others.

Regards

David

Thanks David for that info.

I am trying to get my PC and laptop to be able to be shared.  The problem I keep getting no matter what I try is this error message - see link.  I believe I have set them up correctly I certainly have watched many YouTube videos and read many tutorials, as this is the first time I have ever tried this.  It seems that Microsoft removed the HomeGroup option in the latest Windows 10.

Here is my setup

1. My PC is named MSI and my laptop is named DELL.  2. When I look at my MSI Network I only see MSI, when I look at my DELL Network I see both DELL and MSI.  3. When I click on the "C" folder in MSI on my DELL laptop I get this error message.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bjPPSkt3CphvBuNe9

EDIT... I fixed the problem that I was having here.  After much digging in Google I found that I needed to add a user "Everyone" in the Security tab to my drive.

2nd EDIT - So on my 1st Edit I indicated I can now get into either C or D drive but now that same error message comes up for any folders in either of those drives - all I can say is Microsoft does not make this easy. I am almost ready to give up.

Edited by Dane Watson

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

Dane,

You do not want to share your C drive with other computers. W10 places restrictions on that for security reasons. Create a new folder under C and call it test. Right-click it and choose Properties. Choose the Sharing tab. In the top section choose Share. Type Everyone as a new user and click Add.

Back at the previous screen choose Advanced Sharing. Click on Share This Folder.  Leave the share name as it is. Click OK and then Close.

Is that folder now visible from the other PC? It's read-only by default but if you can read it that's a start.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Dane,

You do not want to share your C drive with other computers. W10 places restrictions on that for security reasons. Create a new folder under C and call it test. Right-click it and choose Properties. Choose the Sharing tab. In the top section choose Share. Type Everyone as a new user and click Add.

Back at the previous screen choose Advanced Sharing. Click on Share This Folder.  Leave the share name as it is. Click OK and then Close.

Is that folder now visible from the other PC? It's read-only by default but if you can read it that's a start.

Good morning Ray - I thought I had to share the whole C and D drives, so I will go into Advanced Sharing and Uncheck Share This Folder.

Followed your suggestion - YES it is visible and I can open it.  What's next - "inch by inch...."

Regards, Dane

Afternoon Dane. 😁

Good. That means the two computers can see one another. The next step is to decide what application you want to run on the laptop. I would suggest Little NavMap. It will need SimConnect setting up but it just so happens I’ve  written  a document on how to do this for another application.

Rather than paste it into a message here if you send me a PM with your email address I’ll send it that way. It’s easy enough to setup and LNM is free (well, donations-ware) so it’s an ideal starting point.

You can download it from here. https://albar965.github.io

Oh, make sure you download Little NavConnect as well further down that page.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Afternoon Dane. 😁

Good. That means the two computers can see one another. The next step is to decide what application you want to run on the laptop. I would suggest Little NavMap. It will need SimConnect setting up but it just so happens I’ve  written  a document on how to do this for another application.

Rather than paste it into a message here if you send me a PM with your email address I’ll send it that way. It’s easy enough to setup and LNM is free (well, donations-ware) so it’s an ideal starting point.

You can download it from here. https://albar965.github.io

Oh, make sure you download Little NavConnect as well further down that page.

Great, I do have LNM and for sure gave a donation already as I use it regularly. I will PM you.

Regards, Dane