Sign in to follow this  
Violins77

Would like input on this approach

Hi there. I checked all the forum subcategories and I think this is the appropriate one to post in. I went to Roatan last February for vacation, and was lucky enough to talk to the pilot of my B737 flight about the approach. I knew there was no ILS there, and I asked him what approach he used. He told me it is an RNAV approach complete with GPS guidance in the FMC.

Anyway, I'm still relatively new to flight simulation (about 6 months). I never used a 737 yet, but decided to try landing at this airport (MHRO) using the default FSX Airbus that I ported to P3D. I'm more familiar with this plane, and while I know it's probably not nearly as good as Aerosoft equivalent, this suits me well for now waiting for MDFS2020.

Since I never update any Nav Aid in P3D, I don't have the RNAV approach available to try to simulate what my pilot did while on vacation. However, there is a VOR DME  approach, that I programmed in the GPS. Using the Autopilot, it did not bring me to the runway as I imagined it would.

After looking at the approach in little nav map (which is really cool because it shows the actual P3D approach), I see that it seems like this was the intended result. The runway is not in line with the approach. This is where you come in. I would I read an approach like that and then fly it? Is it simply to get the runway in view, or could I actually land this in IFR?

Image attached! Thank you 

Roatan.png

EDIT: Sorry, having a hard time actually attaching the image to post. It seems the "Insert image from URL" doesn't work as I imagined.

Edited by Violins77

I'm not sure about this particular approach but there are many non-precision approaches that are designed to get you into a visual situation with the runway environment or get you in a position to do a visual circle-to-land but don't actually line you up with a runway.  In these cases, if you are not able to land visually at the missed approach point you have to perform a missed approach procedure.

• Like 1

Ryan

Look in your Imgur for a BBCode and paste that into your post.  Welcome to the AVSIM forum! :happy:

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: