Sign in to follow this  
Guest tango_d

TRIP TO EUROPE!!

Guest beana51

The departure from JFK,on a Boeing 767 was uneventful.A great flying machine.Arrive at Charles-De-Gaulle LFPG,Paris France,8hs latter,with a sore butt.I knew then that my next leg to Naples Italy, may be more exiting.I noticed a large section of the "what ever that Quonset looking long bldg".is, had collapsed.I board an Air France Airbus ,A218/219,I think?, a ratty looking thing.Believe me it was not a "Jet Blue Airbus." Got seated, and while shoving back,I notice the luggage latch not appearing to be shut. Buzzed a stewardess,and after sign language "Monkey talk" ,she got the guy from up front.He looked ,and he said "AAAH!,to which I interpreted to mean , Don't worry,I fix" Which they did.The Alps reached up at us, as we flew over them.Sunny Italy welcomed us.Soon Naples and then Da Bigga Mt. Vesuvius is there in the sunny haze.No wind,Vis good, and the landing dance starts.The flaps rumble, the landing gear grinds down ,nose wheel straight ,I hope?,then the moment of truth, the landing.My gut tells me something is amiss. It don't feel right.Like I know, I have been landing into Capodichino-Mil LIRN, for many years,on the Sim, but of course.On finial it don't look right,sure enough, power goes full,bleeds flaps,gear grinds up,and its a go-around. The pilot announces "We go upa! Taila winda! Meanwhile the wind sock looks like a wet noodle ,just hanging there.I figured the co-pilot was getting some dual time, he has to learn somewhere,On the return,and to"Big Charlie's" air port, one more incident.Check in,get told the gate,this case A-37,was for me. At 25min before departure, I get a wee bit concerned. No body is at that gate? A-37?.Inquiry was met by a person trying to make like a turtle,with his arms in the prayer position.Great uniform however!Did not want to bug those guys with the assault guns walking around.To make this story come to an end,be aware ,that they have numerous gates,all,with the same number,with no signage anywhere.We were late boarding American Airline 767,got chewed out a bit.But you know?,it was good to be back on American soil,even if it flys. Am I complaining? #### no!,Thats the way it is! Recommended it to all. VINPS My luggage never got lost,not once! I kid you not!! But most importantly,I wish I could have spoken French,or Italian,great people, It helps!!

Good to see you had a great trip.So you were another victim (even if only in a minor way) of Charles de Gaulle and it's magnificent userfriendly design :)

Loved your post... I love the sharing of travel stories--I used to fly weekly and there's so much richness they can give.The last time I flew into Europe was on a trip to Bologna. I flew when USAir was still doing the 767 non-stops through Pittsburgh. Flying to Europe always murders me and makes me--without a drop of alcohol in me--feel drunk as one can be. I remember on that trip something remarkable. I've worked in IT many years, and have grown to know many peers from India who've worked with me in the States. I find it very easy to become friends with them and such was the case with one friend, who later left my company to work as a developer back in India. A year later, I am on my trip to Bologna, and our 767 lands in Frankfurt. I'm sitting at the gate for our connection to Bologna, when a rather dark looking character starts eyeing me from the crowd. I could barely focus my eyes in the state the flight had left me in, and before I knew it, this menacing looking person was coming my way."John, what are you doing here?" It was my friend from India, who was working for a company that was sending him to Bologna, just as mine was sending me. We sat with each other on the flight and got caught up on our lives--I became married in the year since he had left, and he had moved up in his career. We learned that each of us had boarded a plane in our home country, at approx. the same time, and traveled toward each other to meet in Frankfurt. It's one of two "small world" stories I have vs. air travel, but the other I will share another time :)-John

One of the funniest encounters I ever had - NOT terribly funny if you're hungry. I was at Fiumicino early morning trying to catch a connecting flight in a couple of hours. I came across an area where a crowd had gathered. When I got close, I saw a hastily scribbled sign in front of a coffee shop saying "ON STRIKE FOR ONE HOUR". Right by that sign, there were 2 coffee shop attendants sitting down having breakfast ...If looks could kill......the crowd watching that showed unbelievable restrain!!Abe

It never ceases to amaze me the encounters I have on my travels. I once was sitting in Helsinki airport at a gate waiting for my flight to London when this gruff voice from behind me said, Allensworth, what are you doing here? It turned out to be a colleague on his way to Moscow. I have run into simmers at KIAD and EGLL on more than one occasion. I try to always wear an AVSIM staff shirt when I travel, and I am always surprised by the number of people that recognize the site.

Guest tango_d

Hey Guys,Thanks for sharing !RgsEd (North Wales - UK)