Sign in to follow this  
Guest yarvelling

FSX Photogenic Textures

Hi,Got my copy of FSX Deluxe....Loaded and tweaking...Jury still out..One big question though.....Where are the photogenic textures, ie,e Major Airports. I have everything turned up but the autogen, that is off. Could that be the reason I don't see any?Thanks,Paul

The base texture sets all around the major cities and throughout much of FSX is retouched satellite data. If, for instance, you go to the airport used in the demo (Princess Juliana in St. Maartin) and look at the shorline on the left side of the airport just after takeoff you can see places where the satelite data showed a pier but where FSX doesn't place one. As ACES said in another thread, they retouched the satellite data for FSX.DougDell XPS Gen3 (3.6GHz/540FSB) | 2GB DDR SDRAM | 74GB SATA, 10k RPM (C: ) | 120GB SATA (D: ) | 512MB ATI Radeon X1900XTX (Catalyst 6.9) | Audigy 2 ZS Sound | MS Force Feedback 2 | WindowsXP Pro (SP2) | DirectX 9.0c

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Guest yarvelling

Looking around several major areas shows that they seem to have used a very generic photo background....flying over Manhattan shows the background is skewed to one side, and the roads and streets are most definately not in relation to the autogen placements. Some parts of the 'photo' just cut-off into the river, and where the piers extend out, they still have that diagonal criss-cross of building/road pattern on them. The same can be said of London, and another area that I really want to see resolved well; Hong Kong! Flying over either Kowloon, or HK island, that same skewed generic texture is used.In FS9, the default background photo's where were at least aligned correctly and in the scenery library menu, entries were for photo textures for these areas, and it certainly DID look like Kowloon, London, or Manhattan.Perhaps Aces decided it was not so important to use the 'correct' satellite photos this time, considering all the other additions and improvements made; I do wish that they had reconsidered....It breaks that immersive feeling when you can clearly see that the background looks nothing like the area that you know, regardless of how nice the new autogen 'landmarks' are; the fact that the 'streets' beneath them are literally passing at odd angles under them, and what look like maybe satellite photo's of schools, houses, shopping malls, factories, are also diagonaly buried underneath the new skyscrapers just looks so wrong!