Sign in to follow this  
raspysquares

Honeycomb Alpha Flight Controls Quality Control Isses!

Greetings,

So i'll try to make this brief. Ordered a Honeycomb yoke from amazon about a month ago. Was shipped by Gulf Coast Avionics in FL. Yoke arrived and was nearly flawless. Fit and finish was great every switch felt incredible and "real". Yet the jack for the  coiled ethernet cable on the front of the yoke was crazy loose and made popping noises when you roll the yoke left. Contacted GC and got a replacement.

2nd yoke arrives. Previous issues were fixed, but now the trim switches were defective, alot of play in them and far less snappy as the first unit I ordered. I specifically remember how awesome the pitch trim switches felt on the first yoke I received. Contacted GC again and got a replacement.

3rd yoke arrives. Switches are better than the second yoke, but not as perfect as the first yoke. Ethernet jack is still good. But woah, the infamous high tension on the pitch axis seems to not be there, almost as if it is a completely different bungee. I almost prefer it with this backed off tension in the pitch. It definitely feels like they changed the bungees. I go to roll the yoke and notice that the left roll action and right roll action are not equivalent. I tested this with the coiled cable attached and detached; same result. There is clearly a tension "hump" you can feel whilst rolling left, and a much lighter linear feel rolling right. There is also minor but still clear fit issues where the plastic on the yoke grip meets the rubber coating at the thumb rest. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience. I love this yoke. But the fact that I have now had 3 in my hands and each one is fairly different worries me. I know its not a yoko, but still... I've tried reaching out to Honeycomb, but  to no avail. But I am also reluctant to get another replacement because its a hassle.

Did you guys order from amazon or direct from honeycomb? I was thinking about just ordering another one direct from honeycomb for one last comparison and then returning whichever has the least amount of defects. Again, I love this yoke, I love the idea behind honeycombs eco system. I plan on buying the Bravo and Charlie. But man has it been disappointing, I guess this is what we get for buying chinese made products.

I got mine from MyPilot Store last November and have no issues. Yet🙄.

Vic green

I ordered mine through Aircraft Spruce.  Very happy with it.  Great quality and quality control everywhere.  And it mounts super sturdy.  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, raspysquares said:

Do yalls have any play in the trim switches (movement between the plastic cover and the actual metal portion of the switch)?

No sir.

Vic green

Roger, I'll probably order one from one of these suppliers and compare and just return whichever is worse. Got some new pedals coming in tomorrow. I'll do a detailed comparison video. 

4 hours ago, raspysquares said:

Do yalls have any play in the trim switches (movement between the plastic cover and the actual metal portion of the switch)?

No. Not at all.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere