Sign in to follow this  
bmaik

Difference between P3Dv4/v5 mesh format and FSX/P3Dv3?

I'am asking this question since I would like the FSGlobal 2020 Next Generation mesh which was recently released for P3Dv4/5 also in FSX. The developers told me that the product is not compatible with the 32bit sims since they allegedly use another file format, but somehow I doubt that this is true. Is there something like a "64 bit mesh"? I guess you guys here in this forum should know the answer whether there is a difference and more importantly whether I can install  or transform the P3Dv4/5 mesh to FSX. I think of a reverse engineering process like decompiling the FSGlobal mesh BGL files for P3dv47v5 to a format (possibly some image format?) such that I can recompile them using programs like resample.exe to a bgl-format that FSX (and also P3Dv3) understands.

Edited by bmaik

As far as I know ... maybe the .bgl format within FSX / P3D is the one that has changed least (not at all) in these thirty years of FlightSim. So I don't think this can affect. A terrain mesh file created with the .exe SDK v5 resample is also perfectly readable by FSX. We can do a test write me in PM.
Or download, and install, from Avsim ETM12m Crimea - Enhanced Terrain Mesh 12m for Crimea Peninsula. These bgl files are generated with the resample.exe of the Prepar3D v5 SDK 5.0.24.34874 SDK

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=p3dscen&DLID=217735