Sign in to follow this  
c912039

Useful util for monitoring load times

Those of you who were around in the 'steam driven' days of IT might remember the old 5.25" hard disk drives each with their own individual drive LED on the front casing showing any read/write activity on the drive.
Those days are long gone, and now these days, some systems dont even have a single HDD LED to indicate any read/write activity, so sometimes it can be a guess as to any activity on particular storage devices in your PC.

Ive been using a utility called HDDLed  ( https://www.hddled.com/   )  that will create small coloured rectangles on your desktop, each related to any individual HDD on your system (configurable).
This replicates the old type HDD where the LED used to flash on the front of the drive, but this time, the pseudo  LEDs, now display on your desktop (configurable).
(I use this utility a great deal on the many virtual PCs I have running on my VMWare server).

Ive found it quite useful on my P3D PC, when trying to diagnose if, for example, P3D has locked up or stalled during loading.
I have 2 x M2 drives, 1 exclusively for the OS, and the 2nd, exclusively for P3D.  When P3D starts up, Ive been amazed to see how much read activity is carried out on the 😄 (OS) drive, despite all my P3D components installed on D:.
HDDLED can also show you the instantaneous performance from reads and writes, which you can also observe during P3D loads.

One down side, is that these 'LEDs' are topmost of the desktop, so unless you have multiple monitors where you can move the 'LEDs' to, away from your P3D windows, you might want to exit HDDLED after any observation, in case they become a distraction during your simming session.

For the record, HDDLED is not my product, and I am in no way connected to the development or retail of this product - I'm just a long time user.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tried to access this but my Security software says the site is dodgy and the certificate is invalid.

So, cannot even get there.

Edit.

Did a google search and found it on MajorGeeks.

Edited by IanHarrison
Added

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.