Sign in to follow this  
Noel

V4.5 Optimal # of LPs in a 9900K as terrain texture loaders?

Howdy,

This is a very hard one to nail down but maybe someone has so I ask.  I have fabulous performance w/ my current rig in v4.5 but have the occasional 'long frame', hang, or whatever you want to call it when flying thru busy scenery.  Sometimes I'll have none for a whole flight, but other times for example in FTX ORBX regionals I might get 1 or 2 or 3 flying around LA or SF etc.  I'm currently setup w/ HT disabled, and have 5 cores in the 9900K allocated as terrain texture loaders exclusively, well, more or less since Windows uses those for some processes, but I have all my other add-ons using processes outside of P3D using the two cores not being used by P3D.   It seems like a bit of a coding inefficiency because I will see those cores moving along at 20-50% load then suddenly most or all 5 will hit 100% briefly and as you know those correlate w/ the long frame/hang manifestation.  To me, it seems like a BLOCK of terrain textures are summoned to load abruptly, and that block is larger than the sim can handle at that moment in time.  What seems like should happen is terrain textures should be loaded steadily in small enough increments such that those texture loaders don't have these massive swings in load.  

I'm wondering if you've found an optimal # of LPs to allocate for texture loading and if it helped.   Or perhaps there's a configuration option in Prepar3D.cfg that might address this.  My machine's cooling can handle HT enabled, but it's another 9C or 10C warmer so I'd rather not do that unless it's really effective in what I'm looking to improve on.  SteveW has tried his hardest to make this clear to me but I have a hard time following the logic sometimes.   I do know that all of that extra heat *should* imply more work is happening, but perhaps it's just inefficiently busier so does not really translate to enhanced texture loading.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0Ghz Noctua NH-D15S, 32Gb 3200mHz DDR4, NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz refresh