With P3D V5 and Microsoft 2020 on the horizon, I’m thinking about upgrading my CPU/Motherboard from the 6700K to 10700K.

I currently have the following components in my setup:
GTX 2080ti
36GB Ram
4K Display

P3D has been fine but has been definitely struggling with the FSLabs.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

I just went from a 6600k to a 10900k, it was definitely a much needed upgrade.  You are good with the ram and gpu, that cpu is definitely holding you back.  An upgrade to the 10700k will help for sure but I would try and get a 10900k if you are going to go through the trouble.  I know they are tough to get right now though.  

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

What kind of improvements did you see after your upgrade? From the benchmarks I've seen the average improvement has been 12%, which doesn't seem right for a 4 year jump in processor technology.

Both the 10700K and 10900K have been in pretty low supply - I'll do a bit more research into the 10900K.

Unfortunately supply shortage is down to you now what most airfreight is taken, it will correct it`s self I would wait as some retailers will try to hike prices, even PSU`S are in short supply at the moment.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

3 hours ago, leonchike said:

What kind of improvements did you see after your upgrade? From the benchmarks I've seen the average improvement has been 12%, which doesn't seem right for a 4 year jump in processor technology.

Both the 10700K and 10900K have been in pretty low supply - I'll do a bit more research into the 10900K.

From the 6600k at 4.7ghz in v4.5 at FSDT KORD with the ngxu I would get 25 fps in VR with autogen draw at low and dense for trees and buildings, with scenery complexity at normal.  It was also very awful stuttery 25 fps.  With the 10900k OC at 5.2 and the faster ram I can use autogen draw at high, and very dense, with scenery complexity at high and I get a stutter free 30-35 fps in VR at KORD.  I see p3d scaling nicely across all threads, but only when moving.  V4.5 is still limited by its single rendering thread for max fps on the ground.  In v5 the results are a bit better.  I saw no performance improvement in v5 vs v4 with my old 6600k.  With the 10900k I can sit at KLAX with orbx socal in the pmdg 744 and still get a smooth 40 fps with autogen maxed out in v5.  Im right at the vram limit in vr though, so Im sticking to 4.5 right now.  Keep in mind these are still skylake cores, so the advantage over an older skylake cpu is in the number of cores/threads and how far you can overclock your chip.  My chip is a very poor overclocker, most should hit 5.2 easy enough, I had to really fight for 5.2 stable with my chip.  

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero