Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm Street

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot???

So last night I was mucking around with my P3Dv5 configuration, which included adding some new scenery, one of them a freeware Wichita airport package from the AVSIM library.

Once I had everything happily set up via SimStarter, I fired up P3d, only to find that the throttle axis was playing up.  I'd move the throttle lever on my CH Yoke full forward, and the throttle in the sim would go to full and then immediately spring back to idle.  Spent about half an hour to no avail, so went to bed.

This afternoon spent 3.5 hours doing nothing else but trying to get it working.  I tried everything under the sun, including installing FSUIPC (full version) and trying to set up the throttle through that, of course turning off the controllers in P3D.  The throttle worked fine within FSUIPC but didn't move at all in the sim.

After still more research and mucking around I decided the next step, as per LM's debugging guide, was the nuclear option - delete all the generated files.  

And when I restarted P3D afterwards, and said no to every add-in load request, lo and behold the throttle worked normally and I had a nice little flight around Fort Randolph.  Decided to have a look at Wichita and once again it all looked fine.  Decided to try loading the Wichita freeware in sim and as soon as I did that... the throttle again kept springing back to idle and I nearly crashed the plane in the ensuing engine stoppage.  Disabled said freeware and the throttle worked fine again!

Can anyone tell me how on earth a basic scenery file can trash a control axis in the sim???

2 hours ago, Malcolm Street said:

Once I had everything happily set up via SimStarter,

If I were you, I  would try to test it without that SimStarter. I tend not to use those gadgets and try to get things as simple as possible, as they potentially introduce additional points of failures or malfunction.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

If I had to guess, I'd say it added something to one of your config files (exe.dll, xml.dll, etc.) that does not work. When it dies, it is probably preventing the rest of the stuff in whichever file it is in not to run. Are there any drivers or programs for the CH yoke loaded when you start the sim? Check the file that launches it to see if the scenery added anything. 

In my Unix support days, I would always ask customers when the last time something worked properly. They would almost always say, "It worked yesterday and we haven't changed anything since then.". At which point I would do a do a directory listing of their system and filter out all of the files modified since yesterday. I'd always see a bunch of new files somewhere, and ask them, "What about package xyz that got loaded last night at 7PM?". 

My point with that was, go to the P3D folders that hold config files (Appdata, Program Data, etc..) and use the modified date to see which files got changed when you installed that scenery. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.