Sign in to follow this  
karm2275

FSXWX stutters sim.

Suppose that I am doing a 7 hour flight from New York to London with FSXWX as the weather engine. After around 2-3 hours of flight time the sim starts to freeze for around 15 seconds and then stays normal for another 2-3 seconds- and than again an again.

Is there any fix for this or is it just the program acting like this?

Thanks in ADVANCE.

It's abnormal for FSXWX to behave in this way.  As a test, have you tried a similar flight without using it, just to check whether it is in fact the culprit?  If this behaviour was occurring throughout the flight, one could suspect the weather add-on, but if it only starts after 2 hours, there could be something else amiss. I remember a version of this add-on had the behaviour of stopping while the downloaded weather was sent to FSX, but that was done on a regular basis: I don't know whether your version had that problem.

After testing it as suggested, you could also go into FSXWX settings & change the weather update interval to its maximum and setting the WX stations to minimum.  Check if there's any difference.  And remember, you can change these settings without having to exit FSX.

Chris

Thank you for the reply,

and yes,  I did do a test flight without FSXWX from New York to Hong Kong which worked out fine. I also did the same flight with FSXWX on and the sim started freezing again somewhere above Canada (2-3 hours flight time).

Hi Karthik,

Thanks for that information.  So, it seems that at the time FSXWX picks up on a ground weather station and sends the data to FSX it stops the Sim. It might be this one that I was thinking about.  The other thing you could try before doing anything else, is to delete your Shaders folder. You'll find it here:

Your Drive Letter:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders

You can delete this folder and when you launch FSX next, the Shaders Folder/Files will be rebuilt. So try this first & if no success, you might need to revisit the Hanse Coders site. I know that the Lite version is still available & some of the other ones are now removed. The latest one comes with a month's free trial & then to purchase it - unlike the earlier versions.

https://www.fsrealwx.de/index.php

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

I really appreciate your help Chris..

I don't seem to find a "Shaders" folder in the Appdata location.

After 2 month's of FSXWX not-freezing, it's starting to freeze again only in the PMDG 777 after around 7-8 hour's of flught time... any solution?

Hi Karthik,

Interesting you should say that.  A few days ago, my FSXWX stopped working mid-flight (I guess this is what you mean by freezing).  Even after shutting it down, it wouldn't restart (i.e. the app would open up but no weather data would download).  Finally, I switched to a custom weather setting for my destination airport & left it at that.  The following day when I went to take a flight, FSXWX worked fine.   I wonder whether it sometimes gets a glitch in connecting to its server & a reboot is necessary or waiting for a day or so.  Or, you could try using another weather server option in its Settings.

Chris

Thank's for the quick response again,

when I mean by freezing, I actually mean stutters in the sim which are in 5 second gaps (5 seconds fine, 5 seconds freeze). I just did long haul flight from Hong Kong to London Heathrow (12 hours 30 min flight time) on the VATSIM network with the PMDG 777 and after 6-7 hours of flight time the sim started freezing in 5 second intervals, I closed the FSXWX client and the freezing stopped but couldn't connect back to the sim without exiting the sim... so I had to save the flight, exit the sim and come back which if a really pain to do. Just before entering UK airspace... it happen again, but there was ATC online so I couldn't exit the sim a restart so I had to arrive into heathrow without real-time weather...

Sounds like a problem with your FSXWX, if for nothing else, it should still launch again after you shut it down.  And with FSX running (maybe paused), FSXWX should connect to it easily & commence its download of WX data.  If this is not happening, then there must be a problem with it.  I have on occasion shut down FSXWX while FSX is running & everytime FSXWX has launched & started its download & then the update time advice comes on.

Maybe you could download the Lite version & see how that performs under similar conditions, to see whether it is the program or something else that is causing the problem.  There is the latest FSRealWX 3.0, but I believe this one is free for a month.  So, either of these should be able to indicate where your stutter/pause problem lies.

Chris

On 8/28/2020 at 5:41 PM, Angels40 said:

it should still launch again after you shut it down.  And with FSX running (maybe paused), FSXWX should connect to it easily & commence its download of WX data.

Yeah, it does open the FSXWX client but when I try to connect it say's that there's a connection error and then closes the connection although this only happens when the freezing starts to happen in the sim... before the sim starts to freeze (7> hours) when I close the FSXWX client and start it up again it connect's normally without any issue... it doesn't connect only after the freezing starts in the sim (7+ hours).

I did install the FSRealWX client (Lite version) which seems to be working fine on short-haul flight's (yet to test on medium and long haul flight's).

Thank's...