Sign in to follow this  
tgol

Odd holding behavior on the PMDG 777

Just bought the 777, definitely the best purchase I’ve made for flight simulation. Everything is working great other than holds. When I try to program a hold, it appears as a circle on the ND, and the LNAV ends up flying a circle pattern instead of what I programmed it to do. What also happens is that I program the hold, it appears as a proper “race track” on the ND, but the LNAV still flies a small circle pattern regardless. I’ve seen videos where people do exactly what I do with the FMC and they get a perfect hold on the spot. Can someone please explain to me what I could be doing wrong, and how I can properly fly a hold in the 777?

Sounds like a NO leg time or NO leg distance data inserted.

Here a video with all you need to know about Holding:

9 minutes ago, BOSpilot said:

Just bought the 777, definitely the best purchase I’ve made for flight simulation. Everything is working great other than holds. When I try to program a hold, it appears as a circle on the ND, and the LNAV ends up flying a circle pattern instead of what I programmed it to do. What also happens is that I program the hold, it appears as a proper “race track” on the ND, but the LNAV still flies a small circle pattern regardless. I’ve seen videos where people do exactly what I do with the FMC and they get a perfect hold on the spot. Can someone please explain to me what I could be doing wrong, and how I can properly fly a hold in the 777?

3 minutes ago, polosim said:

Sounds like a NO leg time or NO leg distance data inserted.

Here a video with all you need to know about Holding:

Weird, the 1 minute leg is always programmed in the holding page by default. I also tried making a hold leg length 10nm and it still didn’t work out.

Update: holding now works, eventually it does draw out the holding pattern and LNAV does fly it properly. even when it’s not drawn out on the ND it still flies the pattern, and eventually it draws the pattern out mid hold. my question is, what exactly is this behavior? is there a certain pattern behind it?

The LNAV code in the FMS needs to be updated.
This is a known issues with the code and PMDG will update it (together with other issues), but they don't know when, since there are other priorities at the moment. 

i9-11900K (5.3 GHz), 64 GB RAM (DDR4 3600), RTX 3070, 1 TB (M.2 SSD). Windows 10 Pro. Installed Sims: MSFS 2020.