Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

P3D sounds

This is a question, there are times (and now always) when I don't get any sound from my aircraft.  I tried a Bluetooth headset the  other but it didn't work, now it has to be left loud, without keeping the sound quiet - even if I use an ordinary headset.

Is there something wrong with or P3D and an addon?

Gaz

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

2 hours ago, Gary McCluskey said:

This is a question, there are times (and now always) when I don't get any sound from my aircraft.  I tried a Bluetooth headset the  other but it didn't work, now it has to be left loud, without keeping the sound quiet - even if I use an ordinary headset.

Is there something wrong with or P3D and an addon?

Gaz

What you have said is not clear to me, and I think more information is needed.

-- what sim version are you using?

-- what addon are you referring to?

-- did you go into the sim's sound menu and select the speakers or headset you are using?

-- did you select the same speakers or headset as above as your Win10 output device via the speaker icon on the taskbar? You may need to restart the sim after changing the Win10 output device.

-- have you set the sound level of the Win10 output device via the speaker icon on the taskbar?

-- note if you right click on the Win10 speaker icon you can open a volume mixer, and one of the inputs to the mixer is the sim, e.g., P3D.

-- if your monitor has built in speakers, or your speakers or headphones have their own volume control, have you adjusted that volume level?

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

P3D's overall sound settings can get a bit confusing, so just to further clarify (I hope!):

There are two types of sim related sounds: default sounds inherent to the sim, and custom sounds provided, for example, by an addon aircraft developer (I don't mean to imply that all the addon sounds are necessarily custom sounds, and perhaps none are).

-- Custom sim sounds will go to the Win10 selected output device, say speaker 1 in this example, as selected through the Win10 speaker icon on the taskbar (at least that's what happens for the addon a/c I have).

-- Default sim sounds will go to the output device selected through the sim's own sound selection menu, which could also be speaker 1 (as selected through Win10), or could be a different output device like speaker 2.

-- If you have selected speaker 1 both via the sim and via Win10, then both sounds will pass through Win10's volume mixer and so be affected by the mixer's settings.

-- If you have selected speaker 2 with the sim's sound selection menu, then the default sound levels are not impacted by the Win10 volume mixer settings.

-- If you select DEFAULT in the sim's sound selection menu, then in effect you are selecting whatever the Win10 selected output happens to be. So selecting DEFAULT means ALL sounds are going through the Win10 sound mixer.

-- Some simmers make good use of the two speaker system to separate sounds. For example, you can send custom engine sounds to one speaker, and the default sounds to another to help simulate where the engine sounds are coming from (e.g. from behind you).

-- Notice that the volume mixer shows an output level going to the selected Win10 output device, speaker 1 in our example, and  input levels coming from the various applications including the sim in our case. So the volume for the sim's sounds going to the mixer are impacted by both of these mixer settings; the sim's input level to the mixer, and the mixer's overall output level to the speaker.

-- If you change the Win10 selected output device with the sim running, you have to restart the sim for the change to take effect.

-- The sim's sound 'sliders' (engines, cockpit, environment) only impact the level of the sim 's default sounds.

-- Finally, as always, if speaker 1 or speaker 2 have their 'own' volume controls, then they have to be adjusted as well.

Well, I think the above accurately reflects my limited experience as I understand it, and I hope it makes sense. Additions or corrections welcome.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ark said:

P3D's overall sound settings can get a bit confusing, so just to further clarify

I have to admit I am finding this to too complicated, and so i'm going back to where I was.  I bought a new pair of Bluetooth headphones, and it was the same, the aircraft noise came out of the headphones and the GSX did not, it was through the loud speakers wouldn't work at all with GSX.  Even if I get this working, after an ATC chatter another aircraft causes the aircraft to go silent for 15 seconds or so.

I'll put a note the GSX forum.

Thanks, Gaz

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

8 minutes ago, Gary McCluskey said:

I have to admit I am finding this to too complicated, and so i'm going back to where I was.  I bought a new pair of Bluetooth headphones, and it was the same, the aircraft noise came out of the headphones and the GSX did not, it was through the loud speakers wouldn't work at all with GSX.  Even if I get this working, after an ATC chatter another aircraft causes the aircraft to go silent for 15 seconds or so.

I'll put a note the GSX forum.

Thanks, Gaz

I am not familiar with GSX, but would suspect there is a setting in the app that selects the desired audio output device, in this case your headphones, or else it defaults to the main P3D output device. And of course, the Bluetooth headphones have to be set up correctly to work with your computer.

Al

there is a setting there.  I'm going to try it out. thanks!

gaz

Gaz on Facebook