Sign in to follow this  
Steve E

.NET Issues across the Network P3Dv4.5 and v5

I posted this over on Cockpitbuilders, too, but thought I should also post it here if it helps anyone else having problems.  This is just an FYI and I am not 100% sure it is correct, nor do I understand why this is occurring.  BUT- in building my new simulator I bought v5 of P3D and loaded it.  I kept my v4.5 on the same main computer figuring I had a stable platform whilst debugging the new v5.  Running on the single computer ... no issues.

Then I got the avionics computer going again and, as soon as I did that I started having crashes.  When I launched the G1000 software, either the software would crash on the avionics computer or, more frequently, P3D would crash and I would get a .NET error.  This happened pretty much all the time as soon as the software connected.  Both computers are relatively new, high powered and completely up to date.

Was running a new version of the G1000 software which is v5 compatible and thought it was that so reached out to F1Tech support ... not helpful.  Tried everything I could think of with no results but found at least 3 other folks online who were having similar crash problems with different software running on a network and the one common denominator was they all had BOTH v4.5 and v5 on the same computer.  Was there a conflict between the two?

I de-installed v5, removed all of the associated files and even cleaned the registry of all mentions of v5 and the network problems, .NET issues and the crashes stopped immediately.  Yesterday I did the same thing with version 4.5 taking it completely off the main computer and cleaning the registry and then reinstalling version 5.

VOILA.  No problems.  No .NET issues.  No crashing and the G1000 software works just fine across the network.

So if anyone out there is having problems and has both versions on their setup, be aware that there may be a problem having both.  I do not understand why but I think it is real and thought others ought to be aware.

Steve