Sign in to follow this  
Yaanis

Huge stutters P3D v5

Hi everyone !

As said in the title i've got a lot of stutters in P3D v5, never happened in v4.5, it's only in the air like passing 10.000ft then it starts and it's very annoying. I tried to tweak the nvidia inspector, the p3d.cfg, uninstall the software but nothing works.. 

This is my specs: i7 9550H 2.6/3.4; Nvidia Geforce 1660ti and 8Go ram.

I use Active sky, chase plane, altitude software for IVAO, PMDG 737ngxu, vRyr software, GSX and ORBX global, vector, openlc

48 minutes ago, Yaanis said:

Hi everyone !

As said in the title i've got a lot of stutters in P3D v5, never happened in v4.5, it's only in the air like passing 10.000ft then it starts and it's very annoying. I tried to tweak the nvidia inspector, the p3d.cfg, uninstall the software but nothing works.. 

This is my specs: i7 9550H 2.6/3.4; Nvidia Geforce 1660ti and 8Go ram.

I use Active sky, chase plane, altitude software for IVAO, PMDG 737ngxu, vRyr software, GSX and ORBX global, vector, openlc

That's EXACTLY what I've been saying for months.  However, so many on this forum claim that V5 is the "smoothest sim since...whatever".  That's just not true. Generally, it is claimed that we must not be flying V5 aircraft.  Well, you're flying a V5 PMDG, and it happens to you. 

There are way too many who disagree.  Even the top I.T. engineer at a major computer builder for flight simulation told me the other day that V5 is loaded with problems and he gets many complaints from customers thinking it their computers.  He and I agree that 4.5 is NOT plagued with this massive stutter problem.  It seems when you get to altitude and you're flying non-GA aircraft (because they're slow), many of us get massive stutters that make you have to shut it down.  I have never been able to completely get rid of it.  I have had occasional successful flights where it doesn't seem to happen.  Why?  I don't know.

For now, if you're flying P3d....version 4.5 (at least for me) is a wonderfully satisfying sim.

Stan

Edited by spilok
  • Like 1

I think it’s the drivers by nvidia?? On some systems?

i am plagued with lag and stutter above the driver 446.14. Same settings and all and yet crappy performance the later drivers.on a 1080ti

had to revert back to 446.14 which is smoother.

i don’t understand what’s going on

mike

Spilok: Yes I really don’t understand why.. I also made one or two successful flights where everything was smooth but that’s all. I think that I will stay on v4.5 for the moment but I will really miss that TrueSky.

mikeymike: It happened to me one time on v4.5 but it was really not the same hard stutters just a lot of blurries but I can change the driver to see. 

Edited by Yaanis

It's called "thermal throttling". P3D v5 is very demanding for hardware.. You're running a 45W TDP Notebook CPU which will get very hot very quickly these days. Everytime it hit's the peak (45W TDP is fairly low, and we've got summer in the northern hemisphere, making this laptop cooling solution really "unhappy"), it clocks down. Same goes for the GPU, it will suffer from the same issue. Use Afterburner or some other Tool and watch your GPU/CPU load / clock / temperature everytime you get those stutters. I bet everytime they occur, your temps are getting really hot.

Your video looks like a typical example for this..

- hardware gets hot, CPU/GPU clocks down -> stutters -> temps are getting cooler due to throttling -> performance comes back -> repeat (performance goes down)

Sorry, but I think there are not many solutions besides...

a) Playing on a Desktop PC
b) Turn settings down wayyy more

Edited by roesti
  • Like 2

As roesti mentioned, CPU multi core usage is more demanding in V5 compared to V4. This will drive temps up on a laptop, I use one myself. GPU usage is also higher than in V4. When using V5, monitor CPU Package temp and GPU temp using HWInfo64 and let us know the temps