Sign in to follow this  
tfm

747 autoland actually ... worked

Lots to fix in this sim but credit where credit is due: kudos to MS for getting this close to the real thing on such a complex system in a default plane IMHO. 

Not per PMDG standards of course and it doesn’t follow the textbook in all respects but it got the thing on the ground safely for me in a flight from EGLL to EHAM.

What I did: manually set ILS frequency in the CDU. Approach rwy 18C from the north east, ignoring the chart and reaching OA at a shallow angle (approx 220 degrees) , 2000ft, HDG SEL with LOC armed (this engaged all three autopilots) at 180knots. MSFS captured the localiser then naughtily switched itself to APP mode without my intervention. However, it successfully intercepted the GS from below. ROLLOUT and FLARE modes armed and correctly annunciated. Touchdown was not quite right: touchdown point too close to threshold, attitude not quite right, slight bounce.

Framerate unimpressive numerically (mid-teens to mid-twenties on approach: usually GPU limited but becoming CPU limited on approach) BUT fluidity was fine so no harm done. Live weather: lots of cloud: a complex sky.

This is on a 8086k at 4.9g on all cores, HT on, 32g RAM at 3200 14-14-14-31 n1, 1080Ti, 4K display, default ultra settings across the board but vsync off.

• Like 1