Sign in to follow this  
derby_88

Pilot2ATC vectors to final abrupt altitude change

Pilot2ATC v2.6.1.2_x64

Issue: While at FL200 around CMK, Pilot2ATC controller issues vectors to final (KTEB ILS 19) heading along with "descend and maintain 2,000" with no gradual stepdown. This is completely unrealistic especially in the NY airspace.

Flight Plan: KACK - MVY - PVD - HFD - V3 - CMK- V623 - SAX

Edited by derby_88

This should only happen if it is giving you descend via a STAR instructions, otherwise, it will give you a stepped descent.  It is also possible that something went wrong in the program.  

Dave

There was no STAR in the flight plan.

Also, I re-flew the same route yesterday (same approach, no STAR) and encountered the exact same issue all over again. To the extent that you feel that this is bug that you're willing to address in future releases and need additional information, please let me know and I will be more than happy to provide.

Thanks for the report on the second flight.  I just tried it in the latest release and it still gives a descent to the IAF altitude...in my case it was 3500.

I'll have a look and get it fixed.

Thanks again

Dave

2 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Thanks for the report on the second flight.  I just tried it in the latest release and it still gives a descent to the IAF altitude...in my case it was 3500.

I'll have a look and get it fixed.

Thanks again

Dave

Thanks Dave!

On 8/31/2020 at 8:55 PM, derby_88 said:

Pilot2ATC v2.6.1.2_x64

Issue: While at FL200 around CMK, Pilot2ATC controller issues vectors to final (KTEB ILS 19) heading along with "descend and maintain 2,000" with no gradual stepdown. This is completely unrealistic especially in the NY airspace.

Pilot2ATC v.2.6.2.3_x64_R2

Setup: Vectored approach to KTEB ILS 19. No STAR.

Issue: Was cleared for KTEB ILS 19 and instructed to fly specific heading to intercept final ... while at 12,000 feet around CMK. No stepdown instructions were provided - instead the controller handed me over to tower... while at 12,000 feet. The controller should have stepped me down to a more reasonable altitude prior to clearing me for the ILS and instructing me to intercept final. This is somewhat similar to an issue that I reported earlier (see above): also a vectored approach into KTEB ILS 19 and also an issue with improper stepdown. 

Edited by derby_88

If you can email the P2A log file to admin@pilot2atc.com, I'll have a look to see what happened.

P2A Log files are located in: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Logs where <UserName> is your PC user name. 
Portions of the path may be hidden by default, so be sure Windows Explorer has Show Hidden Items checked in the View tab.

Dave

41 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

If you can email the P2A log file to admin@pilot2atc.com, I'll have a look to see what happened.

P2A Log files are located in: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Logs where <UserName> is your PC user name. 
Portions of the path may be hidden by default, so be sure Windows Explorer has Show Hidden Items checked in the View tab.

Dave

Just emailed you the log file. Thanks.

I recently also ran into this abrupt descend clearance issue when being vectored, last example was to EDDM ILS 28L approach, which wants me at 5000 to intercept the glidescope according to the charts. Final vector altitude was 11.000, followed by two descend instructions to 7000 and 5000 within ~10 seconds, which is impossible to do. The descend instructions 7000 and 5000 make sense, but they come way too late. I often find myself 5000 ft or more above the glidescope intercept getting descend instructions 2 or 3 miles before the FAF. From my observations, the altitudes are in general correct, but the timing is not.

A few months ago I read on this forum the latest Pilot2ATC version fixed vectoring problems, but the abrupt descend is still happening occasionally, but not always. However, when it happens it totally spoils the experience, it's either dive-bomb or missed approach or ignore ATC and descend on your own. Neither is satisfying.

Lateral vectoring works fine, and the decision when being vectored and when not also seems reasonable.

Have 2.6.2.3 from 2nd July 2021, though window titlebar reads "Pilot2ATC 2020 v2.6.2.4_x64_beta1".

Have logs if required.