Sign in to follow this  
Omid

Cruise level power management

Good day all

I'm a complete novice to turboprops, so please bear with me!

I couldn't find any relevant information on how to manage power once at the cruise level.

Carenado has issued a brief video in which it looks like (at least implicitly) that at the time of take-off the power management knob is put in "TO" position the condition levers at "AUTO" and the power handle advanced to the "white band" which is around 70% and then they're left there for the rest of the flight (except the knob which goes to "CLB" and then "CRZ" subsequently).

The above settings produce the figures mentioned in the video for Torque and NP during the "TO" and "climb" but at the cruise level (say FL210) the Torque won't go past 65% (while it's supposed to be ~95% according to the video) and the cruise speed is around 180-190 max. The NP is typically 82% (where it should be) at this stage.

Advancing the throttle (power lever) any further than the white band doesn't seem to do anything and I don't even know if I should be doing it as shortly after the white band it enters the "red band" which I assume is too much for normal conditions (at least implicitly, again! I don't know any better)

What am I missing here?

Can anybody please shed some light?

Many thanks

Omid

Edited by Omid

On cruise the powerlever are at AUTO. You don't advance the throttle beyond or aft the white band, you do that only in climb and descent.