Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

No gates at some airports

Hi,I added some traffic to FSX and noticed that at some airports traffic where missing. I found that some airports do not have any gates, just ramps. Is there a way to change these parking spots?LG

Guest Revraz

Increase your Scenery settings. Dense should start showing some gates, and then as you move higher you will see more.

Okay, by gates - do you mean the scenery object "Jetway"?or do you mean gates as FS uses it to define an invisible parking spot for an aircraft?There are airports - TAPA and NTAA for example - which do not have jetways in the real world - and they do not in FSX.But they do have parking for aircraft.Others like KBAD and EGUN have apron areas - but no parking or jetways (most military bases are setup that way).Most of the airports in all versions of FS do not have parking and are nothing but a runway in the middle of a flatten airport polygon.I have found that on airports with Jetways - you get about 25-30% of the jetways at the Normal scenery density and only all of the Jetways at the Extremely Dense setting.

Guest tcable

And KORH which does have 2 jetways, shows non in FSX. There is currently no scheduled service to ORH.

There are only 1,200 airports in FSX, out of 24,491 = 4.9% - with jetways.We will need to fix KORH. Were the jetways added after April 2005?Here is the airport default FSX configuration:KORH,42.267338969,-71.875708401,307.5,D,2,0.70,United States{ RUNWAY,6988,150,HARD RUNWAY,5497,150,HARD PARKING,10.0,RAMP PARKING,14.0,RAMP PARKING,10.0,RAMP PARKING,14.0,RAMP PARKING,14.0,RAMP PARKING,14.0,RAMP PARKING,10.0,RAMP PARKING,10.0,RAMP PARKING,10.0,RAMP PARKING,10.0,RAMP}As you can see - no GATE type parking spots are defined.So far the biggest problem I have with adding/ changing parking is figuring out which nodes apply to which parking spots. The XML file must include the whole airport taxi network.

Okay, I've found a satellite photo with the jetways in place.Now to figure hour which APXnnnnn.bgl holds the airport data.Edit - it's APX28160.bgl

>Okay, by gates - do you mean the scenery object "Jetway"?>>or do you mean gates as FS uses it to define an invisible>parking spot for an aircraft?>>There are airports - TAPA and NTAA for example - which do not>have jetways in the real world - and they do not in FSX.>>But they do have parking for aircraft.>>Others like KBAD and EGUN have apron areas - but no parking or>jetways (most military bases are setup that way).>>Most of the airports in all versions of FS do not have parking>and are nothing but a runway in the middle of a flatten>airport polygon.>>I have found that on airports with Jetways - you get about>25-30% of the jetways at the Normal scenery density and only>all of the Jetways at the Extremely Dense setting.I meant gates as parking_types not jetways. Most of ai-jetliners use gate not ramp as parking spot. As we have no tool for editing airports in FSX I guess the only way to have some traffic in these airports is to change the aircraft.cfg file?! A lot of them.LG

There will soon be a tool available which can decompile default airports into XML code.Then it is a relatively easy change of the parking spot.There is also a group working at fsdeveloper.com on a scenery design tool which will replace AFCAD.The issue with the AI aircraft parking is not the entry:atc_parking_types=GATEin the aircraft.cfg. That only sets a preference in some parking situations. An aircraft with GATE will park in RAMP spots if there are large enough ramp spots around.The issue is the size of the parking spot.Model radius is not used in parking in FSX. The entry used to decide the size of spot need for an aircraft is in the airplane_geometry section.The value in the wing_span= line.This line must be in feet. Half this value is used and rounded up to the next whole meter for the aircraft parking spot minimum size requirement.BTW - here is a modified KORH airport - I've changed two parking spots to be GATE_SMALL and added jetways for those two spots. I can't do complete testing on this computer - so I need someone to test and let me know if everything works.

If you have less than 1GB RAM you may have trouble getting the Jetway to move. The annimation appears to be very sensitive to not having enough RAM.

Wish I could edit messages.Okay a couple folks have tested the file, and I've tested it.The two jetways at KORH work with the defautl CRJ-700 and the default B737 and A321.I will see about adding a fuel truck to the airport - let me know if I should change the heading of the jetways and move the gate parking spots.My main projects right now are CYHZ and PANC - redoing the parking and changing the runway designations.