Sign in to follow this  
Bear Bones

Default silence

Hello all,

I'm really hoping someone can help me out. I upgraded to P3D v5 recently and all is going swimmingly - except the default sounds. Either they're not there or are so quiet I still hear nothing when all volumes are up full. I've been into every sound setting menu I can find, Realtek; Win10; P3D; etc. No joy. All other sounds work fine. Addon sounds are good. Only default sounds like that annoying fuel truck noise (which I sort of miss now!) switch sounds (where aircraft use default ones), fans, general environment sounds inside or outside the cockpit, etc. They're all in the sounds folder and the config points to the right place. I'm tearing my hair out! I've made sure the Nvidia sound card is disabled and all that - I learned that one in v4.

If anyone can shed some light on what I'm missing, I'd be really  grateful. I'm guessing it's something obvious but I can't see it. Or hear it.

Jon

I don't have a definitive answer but I have experienced similar problems. The answer for me was to remove ALL sound devices from Device manager and then let Windows re-install them. My particular bad-boy was Realtek.

I disabled that and used default sound and the problem was gone. Strangely enough, I re-installed Realtek a week or so later and it has worked ever since.

Try it, it can't hurt.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Hi Ian,

that sounds like a possible solution. I'll give it a try when I next get to it and see. thankyou very much for the idea.

When you say 'remove' do you mean you uninstalled them completely or disabled them? Did you uninstall your garphics card audio driver too?

many thanks for your time,

Jon

1 hour ago, Bear Bones said:

Hi Ian,

that sounds like a possible solution. I'll give it a try when I next get to it and see. thankyou very much for the idea.

When you say 'remove' do you mean you uninstalled them completely or disabled them? Did you uninstall your garphics card audio driver too?

many thanks for your time,

Jon

Yes. uninstalled completely (including driver software).

Yes, Disabled audio in BIOS as well..

Then let PC/Windows rebuild everything.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Don't forget to reboot after uninstallation.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

thank you all for your help and advce, I'll be trying it out when I get in later. I did have the same devices set in the P3D settings in v4. The Nvidia card had reset the default to HDMI, which I changed back. I think it must be the Realtek. It's the only thing left. I'll try a reinstall of that later on, reboot and fingers crossed. It's amazing how those few small sounds can make such a difference! 

Thanks again,

Jon