Sign in to follow this  
Guest SVA121

Need Help FSX/FS2004 Windows X64

Guest SVA121

Hello,I'm trying to upgrade my Dell XPS 600 to 3gigs of RAM, yet my Windows XP home reads only 2gigs. Although the Bois reads 3gigs. I understood from searching the web that, Windows XP Home does not support more than 2gigs." If using a 32-bit operating system such as Microsoft

Guest saudi_777

Hi Mohammed,Do you live in Saudi Arabia? Just curious. :)Regards,

Mohammed; It sounds as if your Mobo may not support more than two gigs. Itmight be that a later Bios revision could help, if available. XP itself will support up to four gigs. Check the thread on using four gigs as there are a couple of workarounds there that you might be able to use.

Guest saudi_777

Hi Mohammed,Where do you live in Saudi Arabia? I live in Jeddah, in the university district. I usually go to Lemo Cafe to watch the planes land at OEJN. Awesome cafe, and an awesome view of the planes landing at the airport.Regards,

Guest SVA121

>Mohammed;>> It sounds as if your Mobo may not support more than two>gigs. It>might be that a later Bios revision could help, if available.>> XP itself will support up to four gigs.>> Check the thread on using four gigs as there are a couple of>workarounds there that you might be able to use.Thanks Denny for your input, my mobo does support it, if I understood Dell's site right. It's a 64bit and I downloaded the latest version of the Bois with same results! What's so confusing, in some forums you find people saying XP supports up to 4, and some others say it does not... no clear picture here. If you see the thread on the top it says it will not.runing into walls here :) ..... I'll try to find threads about it.Thanks

Guest SVA121

>Hi Mohammed,>>Where do you live in Saudi Arabia? I live in Jeddah, in the>university district. I usually go to Lemo Cafe to watch the>planes land at OEJN. Awesome cafe, and an awesome view of the>planes landing at the airport.>>Regards,Nice Asim :)I live in Alkhobar. No airport views here Except Bahrain :)Regards,Mohammed

Mohammed:As Salaam Alaikum. XP natively supports 4GB of memory. HOWEVER, the caviat is that XP only recognizes 2GB of virtual memory address space. This is what you are seeing in Windows. Even though you have more than 2GB, only 2GB is available within the virtual address space. To alleviate this you need to add the following to the boot.ini filemulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINNT="????" /3GBIf you do not have this stipulated in your XP boot string then any software that has the ability to call more than 2MB will not use it. You do not need to move to Windows XP 64-bit. First, there are a lot of drivers not available for it and actually running 32-bit programs in actuality will run more slowly since it uses WoW64 to emulate a 32-bit environment.

Guest SVA121

Mike T.Alykom Alsalam.Thanks for your answer. But please bare with me here :)Do I need to add the "/3GB" to the;[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptInWhich will look;[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /3GBor do I make a new line here?God I hate FSX!!! J/kThanks againMohammedEdit; Found the way on MS tech page. But it says it's only for Windows Server Edition 2003!!Now I really hate FSX!