Sign in to follow this  
Guest heinzwerner

Increase Autogen Display Radius?

I was wondering if there was a way to increase the display radius for FSX autogen. When I fly over forests I sometimes find that trees in the distance pop into view as I fly a little closer. Is there a line that i can amend or add in the fsx.cfg file?Yes, I have set the Level of Detail Radius slider to large.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi VictorThere is a line called MAX_LOD_RADIUS or something like that in the fsx.cfg file, and it's set to a value of 4.5, but I've tried to change it to a larger value, but if i do this, FSX will not load past 82%......Try that and let me know your findings.....

Looking again at fsx.cfg - it's under [Terrain] and is calledLOD_RADIUS=4.5^^^^^^^^^^^^^^change that to 5.0 or something and see, I couldn't change it without FSX quiting at 82%

>Looking again at fsx.cfg - it's under [Terrain] and is>called>>LOD_RADIUS=4.5>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^change that to 5.0 or something and see, I>couldn't change it without FSX quiting at 82%Sorry. Yes, that was the line I was changing.

Yes the Raduis can be extended but there is another Aspect that has impact here then:Fsx.cfg can includes the SwitchFIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33(Not sure if the Switch is default included, but its works if it is included anywhere in the Fsx.cfg)0.33 is the Default Value and means:1/3 Time for Scenery Reload, 2/3 Time for common FSX ExecutionThis Switch controls the factor between FSX processing and loading of new Scenery- and Texture Data if you are in Movement. If new Objects are loaded and displayed too late (to near to you or still after you pass them) then the Scenery reload Task has not enough Time to load and display all new data. This Effect will be increased on a higher Autogen Radius, a higher Autogen Dense and also increased if you fly with massive increased Speed (try I.E. to slew over more than 100 Miles to see the full problem). In this case you can increase the Switch I.E. toFIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.375(now 3/8 Time for Scenery Reload and "only" 5/8 Time for common FSX Execution)Now your Scenery Data should be earlier be reloaded but be aware that your FSX has now less Performance (Time) for executing its common Tasks and on lower powered Systems (< 2.5 GHz) you may recognize this in stuttering of your Application. So be careful with tweaking this Switch. For me with a Athlon64 3500+, 1GB RAM and Radeon 1900XT the switch starts sometimes to produce Stuttering if I increase the Switch to 0.5 or more.Tyo can also decrease the Switch below 0.33 (I.E. to 0.25) if you have a High-Performance System to increase your Simulator Performance and effective Framerate. But if your System is not so High-Performance as expected by your maybe too optimistic Calibration Value then this may have negative Impact on reload of new Scenery and Texture (too late, too less)Hint: Blurry Textures are common not affected here. To avoid them, set your Framerate to unlimited. Then your Simulator has the Time to load all new Scenery- and Highres-texture data - but your effective Framerate also shows you now (maybe sometimes very slow), what is effective possible for your HW-System and your selected Adjustment of FSX-Settings.Always happy landings heinz-Werner