Sign in to follow this  
Cyrille de Lattre

moving some files

Good morning, 

I have a quick question:

My P3DV4.5 in installed in the following directory: "E:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\"

during several install process a bunch of addons where installed in the P3D addon folder in the following directory: C:\Users\1\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

Question: can I move the entire P3D addon directory from my C drive to the E drive for exemple, in which I have plenty of space?

Thanks for your input

Cyrille

Cyrille de LATTRE

Aorus Z390 // Icore 9900 Coffe Lake @4.8 Ghz // 32Gig RAM DDR4 // GTX1070 OC @112% core clock+200 memory clock +400) Corsair liquid cooling H105 Ipro

3 hours ago, Cyrille de Lattre said:

during several install process a bunch of addons where installed in the P3D addon folder in the following directory: C:\Users\1\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

Cyrille, the add-ons are usually not installed to that directory, only the "add-on.xml" files which targeting to the installation folder of the add-on you have installed.

Moving those files or directories manually is generally possible but highly NOT suggested. You would then need to check and change every single add-on.xml that it´s targeting to the new location and even the add-ons.cfg of P3D itself would needs to be edited manually. But much more important is that this is exact the location where those add-on.xml should be!

I assume that you meant something different and want to install the add-on itself (with the scenery and textures etc.) onto a different drive. This is no problem. So you can move the folder which contains the add-on itself onto a different location. After this you need to manually change the add-on.xml that it´s targets the correct location where the add-on files are placed. 

You can even use the tool "Lorby Prepar3D Addon Organizer" to edit those changes in the best correct way.  https://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html 

But bear in mind, that the P3D-Add-Ons-folder in your documents folder should be there as it´s exactly how Microsoft want´s it. And serious developers like LM and add-on developers rely on those mandates by MS.

With some luck, Lorby will step into this thread and he can give you deeper advisory what you can do and what you should not do if you want to stay with satble an reliable Sim.

Edited by BerndB
typo

Bernd

P3D V5.1 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX2080, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA and OrbX

Thanks for the reply,

In fact I have found a solution, that was pretty easy. I am copying the link to a video explaining all of it, pretty straight forward.

The only thing that the video is not explaining is that some addons such as FSDG scenery point directly to the C\Username\document folder, and then after the process I have had to modiy the XML file from all FSDG scenery and al UK2000 scenery to point to the knew folder.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Cyrille

Cyrille de LATTRE

Aorus Z390 // Icore 9900 Coffe Lake @4.8 Ghz // 32Gig RAM DDR4 // GTX1070 OC @112% core clock+200 memory clock +400) Corsair liquid cooling H105 Ipro