Sign in to follow this  
drnicolas

GNS-Screen black in popout mode

I upgraded to the latest 11.50 version of X-plane; I also have the latest RXP GNS430 version running.

For a longer time  I couldn't use the Vulkan feature as my AMD driver was blacklisted.

Therefore I was using OPENGL and GNS was working with the GNS as part of  X-plane and in Pop-out mode. I need this pop-out mode in order to move my GNS to a separate screen.

Today, I went back to AMD driver 20.8.2. Now Vulkan works again, but my GNS does not.

- in Popout mode, the window is black only. When moving the window around, sometimes the GNS screen content flashes for a short moment. but 99.9% the window is simply black. So, I do not see the bezel and not the screen.

- when I de-activate the pop-out mode, the GNS bezel appears and also the screen content. But, sometimes the GNS disappears or flashes, sometimes it appears in front of the panel.

It is clearly a problem with Vulkan. I tried with moving all graphics sliders to the far left, but no improvement.

I already asked X-plane support, but they say it is a problem of the third party tool (which is RXP). Earlier this year, I already aksed for help for this problem, but RXP said, it might be a problem of X-plane.

AMD not even answered my support request.

So, any ideas on my problem? I need the vulkan feature to get more or less acceptable frame rates.

Hi,

I'm sorry for your past experience about this kind of problem and the support.

Let's try to reduce the problem to the minimum repro conditions:

• Are you running on Win10? Is so what is the exact OS version?
  • Is AMD 20.8.2 the latest driver? Is not, what about using the latest driver?
  • Is this happening when using only 1 monitor?
  • Is this happening when using only the RXP GNS plugin in a default XP11 aircraft?
  • Are you using the latest GNS version (v2.4.21) ?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thank you for your questions:

1. I am using Win 10/64 with all available updates installed

2. I am using the latest RXP GNS (at least it does not offer me newer versions)

3. AMd 20.8.2 ist NOT the latest driver. But all drivers higher than 20.8.2. are blacklisted from X-plane and VULKAN is de-activated and cannot be activated. In that case, X-plane is using OPENGL.

3a. With OpenGL the RXP GNS works fine

Thank you for the additional information but what about the questions on the monitors and using the GNS in a default aircraft with no other plugin running?

NB: I'm just trying to get an overall picture in order to help troubleshooting the problem first. I get it the GNS is working as expected with XP11 in OGL mode but not with XP11 in Vulkan mode.

PS: I didn't know about the excluded AMD drivers above a certain version?!

Edited by RXP

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Best wishes for the new year!

I come back with this long lasting and still annoying problem:

With different AMD Adreanlin drivers and trying different settings my problem has slightly imporved but still RXP GNS is unusable with the combination AMD graphics, Vulkan activated, popout mode and the RXP GNS430.

Downsizing to one monitor did not change anything.

Here comes my current experience:

- the problem appears only with the popout mode!, never with the normal mode

- Everything is fine even with popout mode as long as Vulkan is de-activated - nevertheless the fps penalty in OPENGL is massive

- With some settings in Adreanlin changed, my problem improved a bit, from "popout window always black" to "heavily flickering popout window, with sometimes GNS screen apperaing for half a second", but still unusable.

- I found some postings saying, that also other plugins suffer this problem. The reason should be that plugins are incompatible with Vulkan as they are drawing in OPENGL , which causes this flickering.

So, question: Can somebody confirm, that using nVidia graphics cards solves this problem?

Or are there some ultimate driver settings  which solve the problem?

I'm sorry for the late follow up.

The plugin SDK only offers rendering in OpenGL and this is normal and expected. In this case, I'd suspect a problem with XP11 OGL->Vulkan rendering bridge specific to popout windows and AMD drivers.

Can you please detail the specific settings which you were changing and making the popout window flickering instead of staying black? This could help narrowing down the root cause(s).