Sign in to follow this  
Bandyka

Wide color gamut support not working in HDR?

G'day,

Well its time I asked the wise people here about this. 

I recently discovered that Nvidia drivers are broken when it comes to Wide color gamut and HDR. It is broken as a whole but also in Flight Sim.

So I found when watching video on the HTPC:

Latest Nvidia driver:

• WCG only works in RGB 8bit dithered FULL and TV in Black level low. this results in bad black crush. (approx 92%of DCI-P3)
  • HDR auto switching doesn't work.

Driver from February:

• WCG works fine as it should in 4:2:2 12bit Limited and TV in Black level low. Great shadow detail. (approx 98%of DCI-P3 using the TV's full capability)
  • HDR auto switching works.

In FS2020.

Switch Windows to HDR ON:
- HDR works in Flight sim but only displays Rec-709 color

Switch HDR off in Windows:

- HDR is off in Flight sim and color is output in DCI-P3.

So in a nutshell you can't have HDR and wide color gamut at the same time, this should be the essence of HDR.

All confirmed with actual measurements.

I can confirm its not to do with the TV as it behaved the same on the projector.

So I wonder if anyone can confirm this with actual measurements as I am quite certain many of you don't even realize that you are not seeing wide color gamut at all.

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

Hello,

Did you check you are using  icc profiles ?
Did you calibrate + Characterized your tv / monitors ?
Windows 10 is supposed to handle profiles, unless you use another app.
Applying a profile in Windows is not as easy as under Linux, you might think you use an icc, but you do not ...
Swiching to hdr often uses special color settings within your tv itself.

Some more informations would help some of us to understand your problem !

All is well in that regard. I have been calibrating AV equipment semi-professionally for many moons and also been in IT all my life. All is well with the equipment and as I mentioned it is working with an older driver for video so that is proof that is caused by the driver and Windows HDR. 

HDR has never worked properly in Windows but I want to confirm here that others are finding the same.

You should not need to apply custom ICC profiles at all and it will not fix this.

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

..and that's the thing I do not believe its my problem only I suspect it affects pretty much everyone which is why I asked to confirm if it works for other by measurements.

I'm using a Samsung hdr capable monitor. 5120x1440 screen size.
I do use my own icc profiles ( using  an "old" spyder 5 probe and displaycal)

I only use Windows when I want to run Fs 2020 ... Linux is simple and enough for me.
I have never tried FS2020 and hdr mode, never used hdr mode, but I will try and let you know.

Hdr off : my icc is loaded, colors are ok

hdroff.jpg

Hdr on, icc is unloaded (quite normal as the samsung icc is not an hdr icc profile.)
Colors are not ok ...

hdron.jpg

I did plenty of monitors, printers calibrations at customer sites when I was not retired, I remember the basics ..

I will generate an icc for this hdr mode and let you know. Right now, my colors look like those HERE.

And furthermore, when I switch from normal to hdr, my monitor switches from personal cinema settings to hdr settings : brightness and contrast settings are really different.
I must calibrate and then caraterize !

I will follow these recommendations.

HDR Display Informally: (source)

•Brightsare brighter; darks are darker.
•Details are more perceivable in both darks and brights.More formally:
•HDR increases the range and granularity of luminance.
•Luminance is a measurement of intensity over area.
•Unit is: candela per square meter (cd/m^2), aka "nit".
•Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) (i.e., pre-HDR displays): max ~100 nits.
•HDR is about allowing highlights to be brighter, not making entire scene brighter.

See screenshots from this page and you should be ok  with hdr and fs 2020 !