Sign in to follow this  
versus

Which one for Reverb G2? OpenXR or SteamVR?

Which of the 2 produces better results? For me SteamVR has better quality (smoothness and less artifacts (flashes microstutters and texture wobble)  but needs really to be cranked down to something like 1400X1400 px resolution (RTX 3070)

Do you know where resides the actual resolution that MSFS is taking from when calculating rendering percentage? I've managed to incorporate FS into

Steam by UWPHook and have a "per application" setting available in VR settings. No matter which resolution I set there FS is picking something else as starting point.

The expert, "VR Flight SIm Guy" says OpenXR is way better for G2 than Steam VR

Look at his 3 minute YouTube called "MSFS VR | 3 MINUTE GUIDE! HP REVERB G2"

I think i'll stay with SteamVR.

I've conducted a test with all the settings being equal, just switching the interfaces.

Head panning (and you do a lot of that in vr) with SteamVR is butter smooth, while with OpenXR there are very subtle microstutters

Could be that XR gives more  FPS but I think at the expense of the slight artefacts, especially in movement.

I am very sensitive to stutters (systemic ones, not occasional judder) them being a major immersion breaker and I have almost none in SteamVR

How can you test this? While stationary rotate your head  90 degrees and look down while adding just enough power to get the aircraft moving and watch the tarmac.

StreamVR  does produces subtle texture jerkiness but only if you are hell bent on finding them. So in 95 percent of normal operation you have no stutter at all.

My settings  are exact copy as suggested below, except that I am using SteamVR  instead of OpenXR.

Maybe I could afford to up some items as I am running RTX3070 instead of RTX2070 Super mentioned here.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/my-2070-super-vr-settings-and-suggestion-reverb-g2-wmr/342582

TAA 60%

SS 100% Best for analog gauges GA aircraft with super detailed outside view.

Scaling is done in sim with 100% render in SteamVR.

He also says this, but maybe he is not that sensitive to microstutters😀

SteamVR OpenXR and Reverb G2

It is possible to also use the Reverb G2 with the SteamVR OpenXR driver. I didn’t find any performance advantage for now but I’m reserving this entry here to add further comments over time.

EDIT: Give it a couple of seconds till the image settles down as it appears very unstable at first

Rig: i7700K@4.7 32GB RTX3070 

Edited by versus

I am running a G2 with a 2070 Super and am having the best results using the OpenXR Developer Tool with custom render set at 70% and motion reprojection disabled.  In the sim I am running the VR render at 90%

41 minutes ago, PlumCrazy said:

I am running a G2 with a 2070 Super and am having the best results using the OpenXR Developer Tool with custom render set at 70% and motion reprojection disabled.  In the sim I am running the VR render at 90%

I think it's better not to touch sim rendering and leave it 100% as per MSFS VR | 3 MINUTE GUIDE! HP REVERB G2 - YouTube

Have you  actually tried FS with  SteamVR? To be more precise it is WMR  for SteamVR  

Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR on Steam (steampowered.com) 

It's sort of middleware between WMR and SteamVR

Leave all things as you have them now, if you wish.

in WMR for SteamVR go to settings - developer and click 

SteamVR.jpg

After you try it and you want to go back  just click this in Mixed Realty Portal. That's it. No need to tamper with registry.

OpenXR.png

• Like 1

VR Flight Sim Guy has 1080Ti and i5 CPU

He now recommends 100% render setting in the sim and 50% in the customized option in "Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR Developer Tools" app

Not to be confused with the Windows OpenXR runtime which I presume is installed with the G2 installation.

Edited by Poppapete