Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

FSX and Norton Firewall - computer freeze

I have Norton Personal Firewall. Sometimes it gives me messages ofvarious kinds and when it does, it automatically minimizes FSX.At this point I can click on the minimized program in the tray but itwon't maximize. If I click on it more than a couple of times, my computercompletely locks up and only a hard reboot will solve the problem.Has anyone else had this problem?How do I stop Norton from minimizing FSX? It doesn't do it to any other program.I've already searched here and I've read all the Norton help files thatmight relate but I see nothing. There is nothing at Microsofts site either.I'm tired of my flights getting interupted right in the middle of things.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Guest DirtyHarry3033

You might try using Alt-Tab to switch back to FSX. I've never had the system lock up by clicking on FSX in the taskbar, but usually it takes repeated clicks before it will maximize. Using Alt-Tab there is no problem getting back to FSX on the 1st attempt. Think that must be a bug (hmm, I mean, "feature" ;))Another thing, you might want to make sure that FSX and any addons you have are cleared for total internet access in Norton. You didn't say what apps were asking for access when FSX minimizes, but to the best of my knowledge FSX uses TCP/IP to communicate with addons. If they are not cleared for internet access your firewall will complain.Finally, you might want to get rid of Norton firewall and replace with ZA Pro!

Guest JimC1702

Do yourself a favor and get rid of anything Norton or Symantec. They are huge resource hogs. Your computer will thank you. I switched to Avast! anti-virus and Sygate firewall. Unfortunately, Symantec has now purchased Sygate so it's no longer a free download.I leave Avast! and Sygate running when I run FSX and have had no issues.Jim

Thanks guys -I'll try Alt-tab. haven't tried that yet. I'll look into ZoneAlarm Pro... or maybe Webroot has something.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I read in PC Magazine that NIS 2007 version is MUCH better in performance and Symantec has made it run without as much resource hogging on the OS. Which version are you referring to?JerryG