Sign in to follow this  
JeffChrisope

ForeFlight FPL format read support?

I tried using LNM to read a ForeFlight .fpl file “shared” from FF (va email), but LNM threw (and caught) an exception, saying the format is invalid.  I don’t see FF’s .fpl variant called out as supported in the LNM documentation, but I was hoping I would work since SkyVector’s .fpl format works great with LNM.  

Is ForeFlight support really not there, or is this just a bug?

I've uploaded an example here - but I think I see the issue.  The XML meta tag encoding declaration claims that it's UTF-8, but these file are "UCS-2 LE BOM", according to Notepad++ (whatever the heck that encoding is, never actually encountered it, so maybe it's an odd way of classifying in Notepad++).  If I resave the file explicitly as UTF-8, LNM opens and parses it fine.  So, I'm not sure where the mis-encoding is occurring - by ForeFlight when it attaches it to the email as part of the sharing process, or by my mail client (just Windows 10 Mail) when I save the attachments to the local file system.  Odd.

Thank you for the file. This helps. Putting "UTF-8" in the header and decoding it as UCS-2/UTF-16 is definitely wrong.

UTF-8 can be viewed in any editor. Even in ones supporting only simple text. Display will only be affected if special characters like umlauts or accents are used. 

That's how a UTF-16 looks like in a normal  editor (a lot of zeroes):

image.png

I'll check if I can do a workaround. I remember similar issues with malformed add-on.xml files in P3D.

Alex