Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

FS9 Landclass in FSX ??

I have noted that most emphasis in the forums has been on porting aircraft from FS9 to FSX. However, from many of the screenshots that I have seen, it would appear that there is a great need for improved landclass outside of the US. I was wondering whether anyone has succesfully added previous landclass areas designed initially for FS9 and whether they improve things at all?I know that Cloud9 are selling new landclass for Europe, and the US in fact, but since there were many great freeware and payware versions for FS9, am keen to know whether they are still usable.If anyone has tried using these FS9 landclass files, perhaps some screenshots of the resultant area would be usefull?Cheers,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Hi Stuart,Land and water class files made for FS8 or FS9 work fine in FSX and will, in general, provide the same improvement in FSX as they did for the other versions.The potential issue is that several classes have changed content, i.e., texture pattern and autogen objects, so that they show something different than the developer had chosen for his FS9 file. For example, a specific forest class that in FS8/9 had conifers now has tropical trees and can thus no longer be used in higher latitudes. In short, it really depends on what classes the developer used. Fortunately, it's easy enough to try for yourself. Just place each add-on in a separate scenery folder and add it to the FSX scenery library. You don't even have to shut down the sim anymore and thus can compare directly by activating/deactivating the entry.Here's a list of mine of free FS9 land class files for Europe: http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=49134What add-on land class files by themselves cannot address is the issue with unrealistic hues and patterns during specific seasons. For that we need either replacement textures or, as Cloud9 is doing with their land class packages, include custom season distribution files that minimize or inhibit the display of those sets. Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger for the clarification. Guess it's a try and see then as far as the FS9 LC files are concerned.Cheers,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373