Sign in to follow this  
jim05

Curved screen with 3 Projectors vs 4 TVs

Hi,

after hours and hours workflow(Full 737 cockpit with shell, Prosim737), I‘m sad about my result and I don‘t know how to fix it.

I built a 200-degree curved screen (I think accurate :-)) and use 3 3LCD - Projectors (2800 lumens, 10.000:1 contrast, real 1080p) with immersive display. 
The screen has a length about 6,60m x 1,60m, and the projectors have about 1,65 m distance to the screen. 
In the projector-settings, I use standard-values. 

Results:

- The basic colors of the 3 projectors are different. Of course, I can adjust a little bit by immersive calibration, but you can clearly see crossings between the projectors.

- The picture itself around the screen is very pixelized and not sharp at all.

So I think very hard about a way to get better and satisfying results. Can you give me some advices?

- I think about putting 3 new lamps in my projectors. Perhaps I have same basic-colors...?!?

- Or should I sell my old prohectors and get better ones (I think about the Optoma HD29HST with 4000 lumens and 50.000:1 contrast)

- Or can you advice me to switch to 55-60‘‘ TVs. I think about put 4 TVs around my cockpit-shell. I think, that the picture should be quite sharp, of course, there are the frames of the tvs...). And A resolution of 4k should be possible.

what should I do now? Which way is the best?

I use 2 1080 TI GPUs with 11GB and an i9 

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Christian

Hmm...

Is there anybody, who made the decision between projectors over a curved screen or monitors around the cockpit-shell?

I‘m not sure and if the decision was made, there would be no way back.

regards

Christian 

3 hours ago, jim05 said:

Hmm...

Is there anybody, who made the decision between projectors over a curved screen or monitors around the cockpit-shell?

I‘m not sure and if the decision was made, there would be no way back.

regards

Christian 

Christian, i think the major issue of your setup is the resolution. If you use an enlarged screen like yours, the projectors should have at least a full hd resolution (1.920 x 1.080). Of course the sharpness will be way better with 4k tv screen, but then you´ll have to deal with the frames they have an you cant merge their pictures at the edges. I´am using in my fullsize A320 cockpit an full hd tv of 42" as an interim solution. I´am surprised how good the picture already appears, especially because the screen is only 1,5 m away of my eyes. I´am this give me a good example. What i can exspect when i will install my curved screen with 3 full hd projectors. 

Better would be 4k projectors, of course, but they are still too expensive. I will prefer to have the overlapping merged pictures of a projector setup, an compromise on resolution instead unless i can get 3 4k laser beamers with 6.000 ansilumen at about 600,- EUR each.

To prevent from disappointment and waste money, i would suggest to get a used 50" full hd tv, by samsung, lg or phillips for a few bugs, put it as a front view near to your curved screen and you can test if the sharpness satisfies for you. 

Bear in mind, if you would go with 4 x 4k tv´s, you may get another dissapointment because of a performance leak. Your pc would need to render a picture of 12.000 x 8000 pixel for each single frame.

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

Thanks BerndB,

hmm... I also think, that you can‘t reach a great sharpness with full hd projectors.

But I would like to read runway signs clearly, also if they are „far“ away.

If I switch to 4 monitors, I plan to put them in that way, that the frames are behind the wooden slats of the windows of my shell. For the 4 monitor setup I think, that Fly Elise Immersive LCD pro should be useful.

best regards,

christian

I use 3 75" 4K tvs for my cockpit.  Great picture I do not see anything but the TVs while sitting in the left seat.  Anything smaller than 75" (at least for the front TV) would allow me to see whatever is behind the TV since it would not be big enough to fill the space.  

i9-10900k * 64GB 3600MHz Ram * RTX 3090 running 3 75" 4k displays smoothly.  

Full 737 MAX enclosed cockpit from FDS