Sign in to follow this  
Guest RGH

Wierd Baron issue

Guest jgary

I just bought FSX last week, and today I ran into a strange engine issue flying the Baron 58 G1000. It may be just a result of my ignorance, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out:I took off from Calgary, with the weather set for "Winter Wonderland" and headed west toward Prince George. As I was climbing out, at about 7500 ft, the manifold pressure in each engine began falling off. I tried everything I could think of to remedy the problem, anti-ice, cowl flaps, mixture, fuel boost, RPM, and whatever engine-related items I could think of, but no luck. As the power fell off, I was eventually forced to begin a slow (300 fpm) descent to prevent a stall. Now this is where is gets really weird: After a few minutes, having dropped to below 5000 ft, the engines came back, all at once, seemingly for no reason. I shook it off and continued my climb. On my way up, I encountered the same problem twice more, at about 10000 ft, and again at about 13K. Each time, I just leveled off, gradually slowed to about 90 knots, and eventually the engines came back.What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

Welcome newbie.Try adding a bit of carb heat by hitting the H key.Good luck.Edit: On second thoughts, all the de-ice switches go on together in the Baron, so hitting H won't help. Sorry.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

When you say "falling off" can you be more specific? You will loose an inch of manifold pressure for every thousand feet you go up.I've had my Baron up to 13,000 ft. only once-and the performance was pretty pathetic up there....I could barely get a 50ft. per minute climb. Best performance for a normal Baron is 6-8000 ft. Could this be what happened?

Guest tallpilot

Geof,Please help me explain to fellow simmers that the Baron is fuel injected and does not have carb heat or engine heat switches. It's a fault in FSX that the engines ice up and lose manifold pressure if icing condition exist. I have never heard of a Baron accident due to the air inlets icing up and the spring loaded alternate air doors not opening to keep the engines running.When I did the first annual inspection after buying my Baron,we found that the alternate air door on the right engine was stuck open and bypassing the filter. I don't know how long it had been open,but the interesing point is that the manifold pressure on take off was the same as the left engine and the throttle positon during other power settings was the same. It would appear that if the filter were to be clogged or be iced up and the alternate air door open that you probably wouldn't even notice it on the gauges.Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

Guest djholmes1200

Hi all,This is actually my first post here. I was going to ask this same question. I'll be climbing and around 10-13K the manifold pressure just starts dropping the higher I go and comes back if I decend. I've only tried the Baron a few times and it happened each time. Nothing seemed to work. I don't recall how I had the weather set so I'll have to try it again. I believe it was cold, but I had heat and de-ice all on from the start and I tried messing with everything. On one flight, the pressure never came back up and I ended up gliding to the ground. It was like there was no throttle response at all, even though the throttle was moving. I tried everything I could think of and even shut the engine down and back on but there was no MP. I thought I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what. It looks like a bug to me.

As Ed mentioned-carb ice is not a factor-if this is what you are experiencing this would be a bug.However-every thousand feet you go up you lose "1" of manifold, and conversly every 1000 ft. you go down you gain "1".Here is a shot of my panel at only 10,000 ft. Notice the pathetic climb rate. The optimum altitude to fly the Baron is 6000-8000 ft. If you fly at the altitudes mentioned above it isn't going to perform too awfully well.Here is a shot flying at 10,000 ft. near Jackson hole. Notice the indicated airspeed, pathetic climb rate, and mp. At 12,500 I could hardly get a climb at all-and of course even lower mp.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/163107.jpg

Guest RGH

Hi I know just what happend as it did it to me,And the advice given here to me was to switch on the deicers and this cured itRex