Sign in to follow this  
Guest lental

runway and taxiway signs

Guest lental

FSX is running relatively well on my computer with good framerates at moderately high setttings. I have one irritating minor issue that no amount of tweaking has been able to fix.In daylight hours, all of my taxiway and runway signs appear as large white rectangles. In addition, tires on the fuel trucks look like puffy white marshmellows. I've set all of my sliders to absolute minimums but still can't seem to clear this up. After dark the signs appear normally. Does anyone know the answer?ThanksLen T

Guest YEGspotter

My guess is that you've run out of video memory. What are your video card spec's??cheersGlenn

Guest lental

Glenn -- Thanks for the response. Here are my system spec:Processor Intel Pentium 4 3000MhzDisplay Card Nvidia GeForce 5600Memory 2048MBOperating System Microsoft Windows XPFree Disk Space 131.16GBDisplay Card Memory 256MBDisplay Driver Ver. 6.14.10.9371DirectX Version 9.0cSound Card Sound Blaster Live! 24-bitAccording to Microsoft Games advisor my system is in the top 13% of all systems scanned by the game advisor and checked out at the top of the second bar among the fastest systems.This, of course, does not preclude the possibility that while the system overall is good, the display card is out of date. It is four years old. However, I find it odd that the signs won't display in the daylight but look great after dark.In any case, I'd appreciate your thoughts. ThanksLen

Guest sajamo

Len,My system is very similar to yours and I have the same problem! Have you made any progress on this?SamWinXP Home SP2, Intel P4 3Ghz, MSI MS-7058 2GB DDR-SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT, 2X180GB WDC SATA, 2 Dell 20" Wide Screen LCDshttp://webpages.charter.net/sajamo/sorry.jpg

Found this in the Tips & Tweak section (just red it before i entered here):Disabling shaders. (Effectively this eliminates water effects, wet runways, environment mapping, and airport taxiway signs,- turning them into blank white squares).I guess you have to enable/disable shaders directly in the control panel of your videocard.Also "FSX.cfg" and "display.cfg" (card depending) have a shader entry.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

Guest david W.

It is your old graphics card that is unable to show the latest shader models.I also used to have a Geforce FX5600XT and also had white taxi signs during the day, and aslo some white bridges, and some white cars etc.I upgraded to an AGP Geforce 7600 GS 256MB, and not only did it fix the taxi signs etc, but the frame rate greatly improved, much better performance flying in clouds, you can see the glass on the outside of cockpit windows, wingflex on the glider & 747, moving jetways now work, reflective water, wet runways, etc.(I also have a Intel P4 3.0Ghz.)

Guest sajamo

Thanx for the tips. From what I have read here and in some other threads I was able to get the signs back (also better water effects) at the cost of a few FPS. I would upgrade my video card, but I am waiting for Vista, and then I am going to put together a new computer. At least I know now what is going on. Thanks much!SamWinXP Home SP2, Intel P4 3Ghz, MSI MS-7058 2GB DDR-SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT, 2X180GB WDC SATA, 2 Dell 20" Wide Screen LCDshttp://webpages.charter.net/sajamo/sorry.jpg

Guest Captain Behrentzs

Got the same problem with the taxiway and runway signs. But I'm sure it's because of the missing shader. I got Geforce FX5200 (yeah, lol)I'm also gonna wait for Vista and then upgrade.---------------------------------------Kasper BehrentzsDenmarkhttp://img410.imageshack.us/img410/4853/bannerigifru8.gifALL NEWS FROM FSX COLLECTED AT ONE PLACE!MY SITE, http://www.xflightx.piczo.com

Guest lental

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I had already written Tiger Direct on compatible video card upgrades but to date have had no response. Think I'll go ahead and order the AGP 7600 but will try some of the recommended tweaks first. All of this has been good info.Len