Sign in to follow this  
Kapenagary

Help with Quest 2 & MSFS set up

Just to start off I'm 79 and not super computer savvy.

I have a new Alienware computer, a new Quest 2, and MSFS 2020.  I've downloaded the Oculus App on my computer and I finally got my computer to recognize the Quest 2.  But when I try to use the Quest with MSFS it doesn't work.  My computer screen splits to 2 screens like it should but I don't see anything in my Quest other Guardian set up. I get a message on the Quest that I'm trying to use a program that Oculus doesn't recognize.  And that's as far as I have gotten.  I would really appreciate any suggestions of what I should try to do it fix this.

Thanks very much,

Gary

1 hour ago, Kapenagary said:

Just to start off I'm 79 and not super computer savvy.

I have a new Alienware computer, a new Quest 2, and MSFS 2020.  I've downloaded the Oculus App on my computer and I finally got my computer to recognize the Quest 2.  But when I try to use the Quest with MSFS it doesn't work.  My computer screen splits to 2 screens like it should but I don't see anything in my Quest other Guardian set up. I get a message on the Quest that I'm trying to use a program that Oculus doesn't recognize.  And that's as far as I have gotten.  I would really appreciate any suggestions of what I should try to do it fix this.

Thanks very much,

Gary

I’m not anywhere near my PC at the moment, so can’t tell where exactly, but there is an option in the Oculus menu to allow “unknown sources”. This needs to be turned on.  Also make sure you enable the beta option. Then, fingers crossed, you should be able to fire up from the virtual desktop within Oculus.

• Like 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

There are quite a few steps for Virtual Desktop (VD):

1) Did you purchase the app on the Quest2 (and not on the PC - they are two different apps)

2) On the Q2 after the install, make sure you answer Deny then Allow for the permissions. The Virtual Desktop Streamer ( https://www.vrdesktop.net/ ) needs to be installed on the PC ( it will connect between the Q2 and the PC

3) SteamVR can either be started by the user and make sure the settings are correct (start at a resolution of about 2000x2000) or you can start it using VD

4) Make sure you have a HOTAS/joystick button assignment for at least the VR-Camera Reset (and maybe the VR-Toolbar Toggle) in MSFS2020 and start with VR Render Scaling at 70%. Also, make sure to set the OpenXR runtime to SteamVR ( if you are trying to run wirelessly with Virtual Desktop). There is a pushbutton on the Developer section of SteamVR settings that allows you to easily set SteamVR as the OpenXR Runtime.

5) Start MSFS2020 (you actually can do this at Step 1 to save time), setup your flight - get to the takeoff position with at least 70FPS in nonVR (just a quick test that you have enough framerate in general ) and then you can use CTRL+TAB to enter/exit VR (Or Switch to VR on the VD Menu)  . I use the left controller Oculus pushbutton (sometimes long hold) to bring up the Virtual Desktop options ( while I am inside VR ) for Streaming and adjust them and then hit "Switch to VR"

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Bolbos - I cant't thank you enough.  I did the 2 changes and it worked.  I have a lot of learning to do with VR but it's working and I am very appreciative of your help.

Thanks you so very much,

Gary

I'm 52 and was a Snr Software Engineer for GEC Avionics (now BAE SYSTEMS) for 20 years and I am a VR virgin, other than the first demo of VR I witnessed at a CGI seminar in 1992.

I wrote the systems for the HUDs for F-5, F-16, C-17 and Eurofighter as well as the fly-by-wire for the Boeing 777 so putting on a Quest 2, plugging it into a PC and starting MSFS should have been child's play, yes?

No it was not!  I've spent a whole week trying to get Oculus Link to work, albeit without the official Link cable, I chose the one by KIWI but when that didn't work I got the Anker one many people recommend, they both pass the Connection Test in the Oculus app at 2.6Gbps using USB 3.  But could I get DCS, MSFS or X-Plane to play nicely?  Could I £uck!!!

It turns out all the problems I were having trying to get Link to work are due to the Oculus Home client app on the PC.  After V23 of this app (sometime Feb this year) Link got broken, although it now seems to be working with V27 which you can get by opting into the Public Test Channel in Settings > BETA. I got no help from Oculus Support after writing an essay on my PC specs and what I had tried to do to get Link working, it was as if they were in complete denial there was a problem despite many people on the official forums advertising the exact same problem as I was having.

I now have VR working in DCS, MSFS and X-Plane using default settings Oculus Home V27 and the Anker cable and I haven't needed to do anything else to get it up and running, such as launching SteamVR which I see some people say you MUST do in order for it all to work together.

So while I am happy that VR is now working for me I (albeit I need a new GPU to replace this GTX980) I am still very confused as to EXACTLY what the average Joe Bloggs should be doing to get these sims working with the Quest 2 and Link, everyone and his dog seem to have differing opinions, I'm exhausted watching people on YouTube say "you MUST do this" and I swear all this is going to give me a sixth (yes 6th!!!) stroke!

• Upvote 1

It's all very confusing.  It doesn't help that the oculus software was unstable for a few versions but v27 seems to be working really well for me at least.  I was able to get it working with v23 fortunately but I was on a pretty low end system at the time so I was chasing the perfect settings, watching you tube, back and forth between this and that.  I now have the perfect settings for me and just start it up, thankfully.