Sign in to follow this  
Alaska738

Procedure of a visual approach RNAV (GPS)

How to follow a visual approach by following a chart?

Yesterday, i flew from Whitehorse to Juneau. So far no problem. I follow my descent until the approach given by ATC...i have just arrived from the CHILL waypoint then GUMLE for altitude at 7500 feet as indicated on the chart, i'm continuing the approach path towards OGEME for 2000 feet, i take the direction of MENAE heading 70° always at 2000 feet and MOLRE. But here's what becomes more complicated, the visibility is zero. I don't know which angle of descent i should take. The atc asks me to take a heading of 50°, which i do but as i said i don't see anything in front of me, then how to proceed correctly?

Btw what MDA i must insert in the MCDU page Approach? I fly on A320.

Capture.png

Banner-FS2-Crew-Beta-Tester.jpg

t-l-chargement

Hello, let me start with :

1) This approach is for aircraft Category A & B, that means A320 , which is Cat egory C , is not allowed to perform it. Correct approach could be LDA X RWY 08.

2) MDA to insert in MCDU ?  None. Because is Not Allowed. (NA)

3) 

22 minutes ago, Alaska738 said:

But here's what becomes more complicated, the visibility is zero.

MOLRE is your missed approach point, if you not get visual contact at this point , only way to proceed is perform a Go Around.

25 minutes ago, polosim said:

Hello, let me start with :

1) This approach is for aircraft Category A & B, that means A320 , which is Cat egory C , is not allowed to perform it. Correct approach could be LDA X RWY 08.

2) MDA to insert in MCDU ?  None. Because is Not Allowed. (NA)

3) 

MOLRE is your missed approach point, if you not get visual contact at this point , only way to proceed is perform a Go Around.

Indeed, this is what i see on the chart. But what're the category of airplanes? A and B for GA? and C/D/E for commercial aircraft?

So as the visibility was very bad, i should have done a go around, conversely, if i'll have good visibility i could have? 

t-l-chargement

20 minutes ago, Alaska738 said:

what're the category of airplanes?

ifr-categories2-small.jpg

According to FAR 97.3, an aircraft's approach category is based on a published speed called Vref. It's the approximate speed for flying a stabilized final approach. When Vref is not specified for an airplane (which is the case for most light aircraft), Vref equals 1.3 X Vso, or the stalling speed of the aircraft in a landing configuration.

23 minutes ago, Alaska738 said:

if i'll have good visibility i could have?

As soon you have enough visual references, you must to increase your rate of descent around 1500-1700 fpm ( A320 ) , so, when you've reached 1000' the optimal decrease profile has been achieved. ( rule of three ) below 1000' you must maintain no more than 1000 fpm ( in profile with Vapp 140 vertical seed will be 763 fpm )

37 minutes ago, polosim said:

ifr-categories2-small.jpg

According to FAR 97.3, an aircraft's approach category is based on a published speed called Vref. It's the approximate speed for flying a stabilized final approach. When Vref is not specified for an airplane (which is the case for most light aircraft), Vref equals 1.3 X Vso, or the stalling speed of the aircraft in a landing configuration.

Thanks! Now i'll be for my next flights.

t-l-chargement

26 minutes ago, polosim said:

As soon you have enough visual references, you must to increase your rate of descent around 1500-1700 fpm ( A320 ) , so, when you've reached 1000' the optimal decrease profile has been achieved. ( rule of three ) below 1000' you must maintain no more than 1000 fpm ( in profile with Vapp 140 vertical seed will be 763 fpm )

U speak of the Vertical speed?

t-l-chargement

13 minutes ago, Alaska738 said:

U speak of the Vertical speed?

Yes, vertical speed.