Sign in to follow this  
mikethe6th

VFR Flight Plan Help

Good afternoon,

I’m looking for some help planning a flight from Booker to Old Buckenham in the C152. I’ve always spent time in the PMDG’s, but after recently buying MSFS, I’m actually enjoying the VFR side of things.

I’ve got as far as:

BNN
BPK
(Would need to be below 2,500ft for this stretch IRL?)
BKY
Norwich NDB

The problem with this route - it would take me directly overhead Honington (an RAF field) and I’m assuming that’s probably a no-go. I’m considering using the Cambridge NDB to fly 85deg at the appropriate time to pass in-between Honington & Wattisham, then measure the time/nm, to make the final left turn to Old Buckenham.

Is this at all correct?!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

RAF Honington is not an active airfield and has no controlled airspace. I believe that there can on occasion be temporary restrictions in place but these are the exception rather than the rule and would be notified via NOTAMS. Looking at a (out of date) southern England VFR chart it looks as though your route would take you across the "stub" of the Mildenhall / Lakenheath MATZ (Military Air Traffic Zone) this is technically class G airspace so you can legally fly through it without talking to anyone but it would be good airmanship to talk to them and request a  MATZ penetration. Alternatively you could avoid it by flying above 3000', below 1000' or by flying a short dog leg. Bury St Edmunds is right on the corner of the MATZ so flying just south of the town would keep you clear of the MATZ.