Sign in to follow this  
kttd

symbolic links confusion

The usage context confuses me a bit.  I'm hoping someone knowledgeable can type out the correct usage.

create a symbolic link on drive C:\

safely remove a symbolic link from drive C:\

many thanks...

5 hours ago, kttd said:

The usage context confuses me a bit.  I'm hoping someone knowledgeable can type out the correct usage.

create a symbolic link on drive C:\

safely remove a symbolic link from drive C:\

many thanks...

Not sure what you're asking here. What are you trying to do that's not working?

Maybe this helps:

1.) Move folder containing assets from current location to desired location. Right click this folder in the new location and select "Pick Link Source"

2.) Navigate to original location and right mouse click, select "Drop Link As" (pick link type) - this creates a link in the original location that references the assets in the new location.

Ex: I have folder C:\MyStuff and I want this folder to be on D:\. I cut MyStuff from C:\ and paste on D:\ then right click on D:\MyStuff and select "Pick Link Source", then right click on C:\ and select "Drop Link As" which drops a link called MyStuff on C:\

To remove a link, just delete it. The remote linked folder containing assets remains until you separately delete it.

Using "Junction" instead of "Symbolic Link" has been recommended elsewhere, but I don't remember the reasoning behind it.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Thanks, but I have no available commands like your are suggesting with Windows 7. 

I have no idea what might be the difference between Symbolic link and Junction link.

I'd like to move a large file from (I'll call it temporary file) from G:\FSX\temporary file to C:\temporary file using some sort of link.  

I don't understand what exactly to type out, nor do I understand what I would type out to safely remove the link.

So I'm looking for examples.