Sign in to follow this  
JonP01

Still no workaround for interface font sizes?

Hi,

Please put a cushion on the floor to support your jaw when it drops. After more than a decade I have finally secured a 1080p 22 inch monitor....a hand-me-down from a family member who now uses a high end laptop rather than a desktop. Yes, I know most you probably use monitors that wouldn't even fit in my laundry, but I have what I have and I am thankful even for that. Now that you have put your jaws back in place, I am wondering if there is now any solution to the small interface size, font size and especially the font sizes of the red text and AI labels when you go to a higher resolution in FSX but the monitor is not a large one.

Yes, I have gone through all the old threads here and it seems we have been out of luck to that point - and some of those threads overlapped into the Steam era. So I am guessing there is still no solution other than a bigger monitor when it comes to FSX, or just put up with the small text. And to clarify, this isn't about windows text scaling since that does not effect all programs and FSX is one that is not effected by these changes (for the record, 125% scaling works fine on this new 22 inch monitor).

Things were OK on my old monitor at only 1366 x 768 but the jump to 1920 x 1080 had a big impact on the font sizes given the new monitor is only 3 inches bigger than the old one.

If my financial situation improves once this whole COVID thing is dusted (I am a self funded retiree so my investments took a massive hit thanks to COVID) then I will look into a high end graphics card and a much larger monitor, but I am probably stuck with what I have for a good few years.

PS: Without wanting to get into a P3D argument,I am curious if P3D font sizes or interface sizes are all adjustable, since I was intending to go to P3D at some point down the track.

The solution that works for me is the high-DPI setting in FSX.exe.

My FSX.exe is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

1. Right-click on FSX.exe
  2. Select Properties
  3. Click on the Compatibility tab
  4. Click on the Change high DPI settings button
  5. Put a checkmark in the box for Override high DPI scaling behavior
  6. Select "Application"
  7. OK > OK
  8. Run the program

Some of the fonts, such as the red on-screen warnings, will remain small.  But changing that DPI setting has significantly improved the font size, overall.

• Like 1

Thank you. I will give this a go when I next fire up the sim (probably in the next day or two). At least although the fonts are very small, they are incredibly crisp and clear, so there at least a plus side to it!

OK well oddly that made no difference but nonetheless thanks very much for the suggestion. I will just leave it "as is" since it is still readable, just annoyingly small. In any case I am probably going to move to P3D at some point and one would assume that since it is a program still in production and being developed in an ongoing fashion, it has left these sorts of "legacy" issues well and truly behind.

Edited by JonP01

Sorry, I can't help with the Font sizes, but maybe changing the colour of the specific labels would help you.  I had a similar problem with the red text at the upper left of the screen (the one with Frame Rate, Wind speed, coordinates, etc.).  Being red-green colour-blind, the red text was hard for me to easily discern in some situations on a small 24" monitor, so had to resort to a colour change which has helped tremendously.

I've changed the Red text to White, which I find suitable for me on both light & dark backgrounds.  There are other colour/colour codes available.  You can experiment with the White & see how it looks for the Upper Left Text.  For this, go to your fsx.cfg file & scroll down to TextInfo.1, TextInfo.2 and TextInfo.3.  At the end of each TextInfo block, you will see TextColor.1=255,0,0  (this code represents Red).  To change it to White, replace it with  255,255,255 (without spaces) and save the file.

I haven't used these colour codes for any other entry in the fsx.cfg, which allows for a colour depiction, so can't vouch for how the other entries will appear.  If you find this useful and you need the complete list of colours, then you could PM me with an email address, as I can't post it here because of the colour pastels & structure that is involved.

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks. I might give that a go. I know I already did a lot of experimenting with the AI colours (tail number, distance info etc) and after long experimentation came up with the orangy-yellow option which worked the best in all weather conditions as well as night and day. Since that colour works for me so well with the AI I might try it for the text as well. Thanks again.