Sign in to follow this  
SimeonWilbury

New PC on Reasonable Budget - P3D V4/5 @1080p

Hi All,

I believe I have posted about the potential of building a new PC on here in the past, however I am now in a position where I am actively planning to upgrade my current system in the coming months.

I am looking at a small form-factor (micro-atx, small tower) PC to make transport easier in anticipation of my starting Univerisity later this year, with a substantial increase in my current level of Performance. I have a decent amount of money with which to finance this though I would ideally like to avoid going too far over GBP1000/USD1400

For detail my current setup is as follows, which I use to run P3DV4.5 at 1080p & 30fps:

CPU - AMD-FX 8350

GPU - Radeon RX-570 8GB

RAM - 16GB Corsair XMS3 (DDR3)

MOBO - ASUS M5A99X

On the whole with my current settings and addons the Sim Performs well, and I get consistent framerates is most areas. In some areas however, most notably London & New York, my FPS is quite choppy which makes flying accurately more difficult. I primarily fly the PMDG 747-400 and the Leonardo Maddog X, which are both fairly resource intensive aircraft.

Currently I am considering the following which I intend to use to run P3D V5 (or potentially V4 Initially) at the same resolution & fps

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X

MOBO - MSI B550M pro (micro-ATX)

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LTX 16GB (DDR4)

I have come to terms somewhat with the current shortage of GPUs, and given the current shortage will likely last at least until next year, I currently intend to maintain my RX-570 as an interim GPU until prices normalise to an extent at which I can purchase one, I am currently split between the RTX-3070 (which appears to give overall better performance) and the RX-6700XT (which appears to consistently come with a larger amount of VRAM, which I'm aware that V5 is more demanding of).

Overall the plan is the stuff these along with a bunch of hard-drives (new & older) into a Coolermaster Q300L with a Hyper-212 on the CPU & an ADATA XPG 600w PSU.

My primary questions regarding this are the following:

• While maintaining my old GPU but siginificantly upgrading my CPU, what will my performance increases be like between V4 & V5, given that V5 is more GPU heavy but also more optimised in the FPS department?
  • Would V5 be worth the upgrade for the visual improvements at this level? Or would it be wiser to wait for a newer GPU and in the meantime stick with 4.5 (I'm very happy with the stability of 4.5 so I'm a little reluctant to move at present)?
  • Does anybody have any experience with similar hardware combinations above that they can share? I'm aware of the potential for a need for a BIOS update on B550 Mobos, which I'll be happy to do so long as the board is capable of doing so without an older Ryzen CPU (as I do not have one on hand).
  • I'm aware this isn't the video-card forum but I'd appreciate any advice on a new GPU when prices (hopefully!) relax, I'm acutely aware of V5's Vram Demands but if this is only an issue on fidelity levels unreachable with the hardware I'm looking at, then I may go for the lower VRAM of the 3070 so as to push up my framerate (in an ideal world I'd like to be able to run my sim at 1080p 60fps). If someone can correct me on the VRAM front with the 3070 then I'd also be grateful, as most models I've seen so far only appear to offer 8GB where as the RX-6700XT appears to consistently offer 12GB VRam.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you may have.

Martin.

Edited by SimeonWilbury
spotted a typo

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

On 4/29/2021 at 5:14 PM, SimeonWilbury said:

Hi All,

I believe I have posted about the potential of building a new PC on here in the past, however I am now in a position where I am actively planning to upgrade my current system in the coming months.

I am looking at a small form-factor (micro-atx, small tower) PC to make transport easier in anticipation of my starting Univerisity later this year, with a substantial increase in my current level of Performance. I have a decent amount of money with which to finance this though I would ideally like to avoid going too far over GBP1000/USD1400

For detail my current setup is as follows, which I use to run P3DV4.5 at 1080p & 30fps:

CPU - AMD-FX 8350

GPU - Radeon RX-570 8GB

RAM - 16GB Corsair XMS3 (DDR3)

MOBO - ASUS M5A99X

On the whole with my current settings and addons the Sim Performs well, and I get consistent framerates is most areas. In some areas however, most notably London & New York, my FPS is quite choppy which makes flying accurately more difficult. I primarily fly the PMDG 747-400 and the Leonardo Maddog X, which are both fairly resource intensive aircraft.

Currently I am considering the following which I intend to use to run P3D V5 (or potentially V4 Initially) at the same resolution & fps

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X

MOBO - MSI B550M pro (micro-ATX)

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LTX 16GB (DDR4)

I have come to terms somewhat with the current shortage of GPUs, and given the current shortage will likely last at least until next year, I currently intend to maintain my RX-570 as an interim GPU until prices normalise to an extent at which I can purchase one, I am currently split between the RTX-3070 (which appears to give overall better performance) and the RX-6700XT (which appears to consistently come with a larger amount of VRAM, which I'm aware that V5 is more demanding of).

Overall the plan is the stuff these along with a bunch of hard-drives (new & older) into a Coolermaster Q300L with a Hyper-212 on the CPU & an ADATA XPG 600w PSU.

My primary questions regarding this are the following:

• While maintaining my old GPU but siginificantly upgrading my CPU, what will my performance increases be like between V4 & V5, given that V5 is more GPU heavy but also more optimised in the FPS department?
  • Would V5 be worth the upgrade for the visual improvements at this level? Or would it be wiser to wait for a newer GPU and in the meantime stick with 4.5 (I'm very happy with the stability of 4.5 so I'm a little reluctant to move at present)?
  • Does anybody have any experience with similar hardware combinations above that they can share? I'm aware of the potential for a need for a BIOS update on B550 Mobos, which I'll be happy to do so long as the board is capable of doing so without an older Ryzen CPU (as I do not have one on hand).
  • I'm aware this isn't the video-card forum but I'd appreciate any advice on a new GPU when prices (hopefully!) relax, I'm acutely aware of V5's Vram Demands but if this is only an issue on fidelity levels unreachable with the hardware I'm looking at, then I may go for the lower VRAM of the 3070 so as to push up my framerate (in an ideal world I'd like to be able to run my sim at 1080p 60fps). If someone can correct me on the VRAM front with the 3070 then I'd also be grateful, as most models I've seen so far only appear to offer 8GB where as the RX-6700XT appears to consistently offer 12GB VRam.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you may have.

Martin.

I can give you a bit of answer to point #3.

I am using B550 with 5800X. I was intel for 2 decades and switched to AMD so I had much to learn with PBO and curve optimiser. Glad to say that all my efforts of reading resulted in good outcome. When I got the mainboard I had to update my BIOS through a BIOS Flash with USB stick. 

For the other points about GPU, I am not sure if your card will be sufficient for V5. But then again you are only running at 1080p, perhaps it could since I am only using 1070 on 4k display with a moderate settings and i get 35-30FPS with FSL. Of course the best is to get a GPU with high VRAM for v5.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TrentXWB said:

I can give you a bit of answer to point #3.

I am using B550 with 5800X. I was intel for 2 decades and switched to AMD so I had much to learn with PBO and curve optimiser. Glad to say that all my efforts of reading resulted in good outcome. When I got the mainboard I had to update my BIOS through a BIOS Flash with USB stick. 

For the other points about GPU, I am not sure if your card will be sufficient for V5. But then again you are only running at 1080p, perhaps it could since I am only using 1070 on 4k display with a moderate settings and i get 35-30FPS with FSL. Of course the best is to get a GPU with high VRAM for v5.

Many thanks for the word regarding the Mobo/CPU combo, am reassured that that does seem to confirm my own reading on the issue, I believe the mobo I'm looking at has a BIOS flashback capability l so that should be perfectly doable.

Regarding the GPU, based on my understanding of other threads regarding V5 around here, I don't believe resolution makes much of an impact on Vram usage itself which will most likely be the main limiting factor. I think if I keep roughly equivalent settings to my V4 setup my 8gb of Vram would probably be enough to run V5 at a stable level, though I'll do a little more research in advance probably. Of course a GPU with more VRAM will be preferable but It'll simply be a case of seeing when they're in stock!

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

Do note that on V5 certain products such as LVR KFLL, KMIA and FSDT KORD and FT KLAS, you need to turn down the texture resolution to 1024x1024 otherwise you won't have enought VRAM

Noted, many thanks

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png