Sign in to follow this  
chris41

Static scenery disappears in overhead view

I like to add scenery objects such as aircraft, stair trucks, beltloaders etc using ez scenery. Problem is when I add scenery and either exit fs, or sim crashes while adding, then I start back up to add more scenery in overhead view—at a certain distance what I added, or what the author added to an airport—disappears, only to reappear when I change views. It can be frustrating trying to add items such as cones on the ground at wingtips as I can’t get close enough on the overhead view to place them accurately. Wondering if there is a solution to fixing this or not.

Chris Porter

Unfortunately it happens and it's annoying … helipads do the same thing! Sometimes, using a different aircraft can change things, but I've found no finite pattern.

One work-around is to approximately place the item(s) needed using EZ-Scenery, then load the resultant .bgl file into SceneGenX, position the overhead aircraft in FS exactly where you want the item, then, with "Flight Sim Position via FSUIPC" in the "View" menu activated, move the item and re-save.

If you're putting in a row of markers or similar, just place one with EZ-Scenery, then use the "copy & paste" function in SceneGenX to position the others. Do note that SceneGenX will give the imported file a new name when saved, if you don't change things, so you might end up with both files active if you don't delete/re-name the original before re-starting FS. Keep interim back-up copies somewhere safe 'till you're happy with the final result!

It may help to make several "overlay" files with different features in them until you're fully satisfied with the results, then merge them all to one file in SceneGenX. All a bit of a faff and will need familiarisation with SceneGenX if you're not already using it, but it does work. Other design utilities may provide similar functionality, but I continue to use SceneGenX 'cos I've found nothing better overall for FS9.

Good luck ;)