Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Beware of Hardware Accelerated GPU Planning (HAGS)

I was always proud of the MSFS performance on my slightly dated system, but was shocked today. The last time I was flying was 2 days ago, and all was okay. Today it was a stuttering mess with 15-17 fps. Upon checking, CPU was at ~50% and GPU at 30%. So what happened?

I wasn't in the air yesterday - but installed the Windows 21H1 update. Now, I'm not the one terribly afraid of all those updates, but I had a few suspects and the second one was already a hit:

The update activated Hardware Accelerated GPU Planning (HAGS) which I had deliberately off according to several suggestions. Switched it off, restarted the machine, got into MSFS and voila back at > 30 fps and all stuttering gone (in the same place, same machine etc.).

This may not apply to all, and I can't exclude other systems benefiting from HAGS, but mine definitely doesn't.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11