Sign in to follow this  

Hi guys

So today I purchased Gamepass for PC and installed Xbox App and FS2020. The game is installed in D:/ (Samsung 960 EVO 1GB)

Medium Settings: with AA and Motion Blur OFF
Live Air Traffic

Playing on 2560 x 1440 144Hz

My specs are as follows:

7980XE@4.7GHz (Adaptive Mode)
64GB DDR4 3800MHz
GTX 970 Stock speed

When running the game I was getting 11-13FPS and the following message: "Limited by Main Thread".

I opened up HWinfo and noted CPU was at default speed of 1.2GHz. CPU-Z was also showing same speed of 1.2GHz.
It appeared that game load was not forcing CPU to turbo boost to 4.7GHz. However when stress testing CPU with y-cruncher the CPU immediately went to 4.7GHz. 

The result was same even if I change CPU affinity to high.

Please can someone help me with this issue?

The base clock of the i9-7980XE is 2.6GHz if this specification is correct, so 1.2GHz is below the base clock. Set Windows 10 Power Options to "Ultimate Performance" and test again.

Edited by Emerson67

Thanks Emerson.

Indeed it was the windows power setting. I had it set to 'Power Saver' hence 1.2GHz. By using 'High Performance' CPU remained at 4.7Ghz.

However is it possible to switch between the two power options? So when playing game power setting goes to 'High Performance' and then back to 'Power Saver' when finish playing game.

1 hour ago, Wingzero30 said:

Thanks Emerson.

Indeed it was the windows power setting. I had it set to 'Power Saver' hence 1.2GHz. By using 'High Performance' CPU remained at 4.7Ghz.

However is it possible to switch between the two power options? So when playing game power setting goes to 'High Performance' and then back to 'Power Saver' when finish playing game.

I am just wondering why you would want to do this unless power consumption is absolutely critical.

By the way, Google "overkilll productions" he has a recently released video tutorial on MSFS and window settings which is very comprehensive.  Well worth a look

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

4 hours ago, Wingzero30 said:

At Windows level you need to switch power options manually, or edit the "Minimum processor state" percent value of the power plan, then test if it works as wished.

At BIOS/UEFI level there are several configurations and tweaks to minimize the power load. Usually, there's no much need to change settings because the defaults already do save power by running multi-core CPUs at the base clock when there's no workload.

Edited by Emerson67
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Emerson67 said:

At Windows level you need to switch power options manually, or edit the "Minimum processor state" percent value of the power plan, then test if it works as wished.

At BIOS/UEFI level there are several configurations and tweaks to minimize the power load. Usually, there's no much need to change settings because the defaults already do save power by running multi-core CPUs at the base clock when there's no workload.

Yes I would have to manually switch between the two power options. In the Bios I have C states and speed step enabled to reduce power consumption.