Sign in to follow this  
JonP01

Question about substituting stock AI models

Since the only aircraft I ever fly are my A2A and Milviz aircraft, it seems a waste to have to devote processing power to the stock Microsoft 747-400 and 737-800 aircraft etc when all I ever use them for is AI. I could use something like the Aardvark models instead and would then likely be able to shift the traffic slider a bit further to the right.

But since I do not want to muck with new traffic flight plans (I am perfectly happy with the stock Microsoft plans), I am concerned I might hit a snag when it comes to the repaints, since from what I can tell there are no repaints for low poly AI aircraft to match off against the existing Microsoft fictitious airlines.

So if I were to go to all the trouble of setting up a whole lot of new aircraft.cfg files for the substitute AI (and then modify the stock aircraft.cfg files to prevent a "doubling up" conflict) am I then going to run into problems with the ATC dialogue in that I will not hear the real world airline names being used?

For example, I might substitute Qantas for Orbit, American for Soar, etc and then have to do a one for one substitute for each of the original Microsoft textures for each aircraft to match. Now I seem to recall there was some list going around of what valid real world airlines work with the stock ATC voice pack but I did some unrelated experiments on that last month (when adding an Antonov payware glider) and I could not ever get the ATC to use the airline name (for ATC purposes only obviously) that I gave it even though it actually matched the Microsoft fictitious listings. I mucked for hours trying everything and gave up.

So can I actually do what I want to do and thus successfully use the stock traffic files and stock ATC voice files with these add-on AI using real world repaints? And will the ATC then use the correct airline name so long as it is one that is known to work with the stock ATC pack?

I realise I can experiment but after trying to even et a simple glider to work properly with the ATC last time, it would be very time consuming to start experimenting if I can simply ask here first - just in case it is a lost cause from the outset and I have to look into other options.

Thanks

I have always disabled the stock AI in FSX and FS9, and then add in a handful of WOAI packages. I add 3 to 5 in countries I am likely to fly in. US, Australia, Japan, etc. The big carriers like American, BA, and Qantas will populate airports internationally. It's amazing how much difference a few packages make.

But, I know you asked about default. I haven't really messed with FSX default, only FS9. In FS9 the editvoicepack app would add real world airlines to ATC. I assume it does that in FSX also.

It is possible to decompile the traffic bgl, and edit the files to load different aircraft for the flight plans. But the ATC would call them by the flight number if the airline name isnt in the game..

atc_airline=Westjet ------if it isnt in the sim, then it uses
atc_flight_number=175

I'm going to muck around a bit with FSX AI today, see what I find

• Like 1

3 hours ago, romanus said:

atc_airline=Westjet ------if it isnt in the sim, then it uses
atc_flight_number=175

Yes, I found with my own experiments that I could at least get the ATC to use the flight number. To be honest that might simply be the best comprise if I want to avoid going all the way to new voicepacks, changing traffic files etc. In the end when I am looking around the sky, I care about the flight number reference anyway since the traffic is always too far away to see the livery anyway (I mean at the point in time when it matters in the sky).

It wouldn't be all that hard to open the default FSX aircraft traffic file in AIFP and just substitute the liveries that you want to use for the default ones.

For example the FSX traffic file reuses the same three A321 liveries for seven flight plans.  Substituting your own liveries would enable you to have different ones for each of the seven flight plans, giving you more airlines.

Also, you wouldn't need to alter any aircraft.cfg files since ATC would be looking at your substitute aircraft.

• Like 1

Ernest Pergrem

Thanks for the suggestion airernie. I have done exactly that. Downloaded the FSX updated aardvark models and some generic repaints and then substituted those for the original entries in the stock Microsoft traffic file. Works a charm (had issues though till I realised the Sim= parameter points to the airfile!). I have kept the original Microsoft MD83, Dash 8 and PA-28 as they are fine and I have no problems with them.

So now I have gotten a pretty good effective boost in processing power by significantly reducing AI CPU cycle demands and with no practical losses since those low poly AI are really just as good as the Microsoft AI when you take into account their purpose for being there. I never wanted to get into traffic editing because I am more interested in the core simming experience first up. The AI are really only there for me to help in keeping in practice with other aircraft around me and having to "fit in" so to speak. But this process was an easy fix relatively speaking and probably just took me a day to work out how to do it and get it done. So now the frame rate tanking once I have landed are a thing of the past!

I cannot believe how much processing power AI takes away in this game. I guess back in 2006 Microsft expected single cores would be running at 16 Ghz by now and be 10 times as fast as what they were back then! Not sure any computer will exist in my lifetime that lets FSX:SE run absolutely flat out, everything hard right with complex add-ons...

Edited by JonP01
  • Like 1