Sign in to follow this  
ekesol

Questions on using Direct - thanks

Tried going direct tonight to a different airport.  Steps I took...

Request direct to new airport from ATC and got permission

Push the direct button and pull up the direct dialog box, type in new airport, hit load.

New airport shows up in my flight plan.

Questions....

Does ATC now direct me to the new airport?

How do I set up an approach to that airport, I think I tried to do that and it wouldn't allow me modify the approach while I was flying.  Do I need to ask ATC and if so what are the requests?

I play NeoFly, which has you fly missions, and you can set it up to occasionally/randomly redirect your destination under the guise of an emergency which adds a bit of unpredictability to the game, but I need to be able to change my flight plan in the air.

Thanks.

Dave

No. ATC's role is to separate aircraft on IFR flight plans.  It does not direct you anywhere unless you ask for vectors.

You file and then fly your flight plan on your own, after getting clearance from ATC.

You should set up an IFR flight plan and include the approach you want in it.  Then you will be given that approach as you near the airport, assuming you have Config set up correctly.

P2A does not directly support "emergencies", but you can request vectors to an approach at any airport during flight, which is what you would likely want to do in an emergency.

Dave

Okay.  I am using the program to file a flight plan and fly.  That part I have down and have flown a number of flights with it.

In the manual it discusses getting permission from ATC to fly direct to another location and then using the "direct to" to change my destination.  The manual even says "or perhaps you need to land for an emergency at a different airport than your destination.".

If I was under ATC control and asked for a change in destination I would expect to have to update or file a new flight plan to that destination with appropriate star/approach combinations.  The approved change shouldn't just cancel my flight plan and toss me into VFR.

When I did the destination change to another airport I saw that it updated the FLP page to show the new airport as the destination.  What I don't know is can the software then allow me to set up the Star/APPR for the new destination or am I on my own to get there?  And what will ATC say about my course and altitude?

Thanks.

Dave

DirectTo is normally used to "shortcut" to a waypoint in the flight plan to avoid going out of the way.

Changing the flight plan in the P2A user interface does not change it with ATC.  ATC has their own copy of the flight plan that they modify based on verbal requests and instructions.

If you have an emergency, you should find the nearest airport suitable for landing and request vectors for an IFR approach or, vectors for a Visual Straight-In to a specific runway.  Then ATC will give you vectors and you can land at that new destination.  No need to update the P2A flight plan, unless you want to update the route on the moving map.

You would not modify and file a new flight plan.

Dave

• Like 1