Sign in to follow this  
Rob G

Struggling with Quest 2

Hi everyone. I have a very powerful PC with the fastest Intel CPU and a 3090 overclocked GPU, etc, etc. I have a Quest 2 headset. I can use Oculus Link, Virtual Desktop, or AirLink to play any of my Oculus games on PC or any of my Steam PCVR games quite well, EXCEPT for MSFS.

I have been struggling terribly to get a good configuration for using the Quest 2 with MSFS. I have watched numerous YouTube videos where people seem to be having great results with PC's even less powerful than mine. I have configured my system(s) following numerous articles without success. 

For example, one article says turn Game Mode on and HAPS on and another article/video says turn them both off. That's just one example.

I would be sooo grateful if someone who is using a Quest 2 with MSFS on a beefy PC system could either give me instructions on the settings and steps to follow, or at least point me to some definitive article/video and they highly recommend I follow to get a proper experience using my Quest 2 with MSFS.

Thanks in advance ............ Rob

Edited by Rob G

Case: (Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL), PSU: (MEG Ai300p pcie 5 & ATX 3.0), Motherboard: (ASUS TUF Gaming x670E-PLUS WIFI 6E), CPU: (AMD Ryzen 7 7800-X3D) 

Memory: (G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6000), GPU: (Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo). CPU Cooler: (ASUS ROG Strix LC RGB 360) 

Fans: (7 Corsair LL Series 120mm RGB)

I have a similar pc setup.  From memory here's my settings.

In msfs: 

All high settings, texture resolution, clouds, windshield are set to ultra.  130 for both sliders for lod.  100 render res.

Starting out on medium settings (except texture resolution, always leave at ultra) and work upwards would be my suggestion.  100 for bot lod sliders.

Oculus App settings.  

80 hz.  Resolution full right.

Oculus Tray Tool

I have the FOV set to .85 Horizontal and .65 vertical.  (need to toggle out of vr, and hit save and then toggle back into vr for changes to take)

FOV for me is the biggest change in fps.  If I leave at default I'm down to 30 and under in fps.

I sometimes set the ASW to 30hz, especially when starting out.  But take this off after leaving the initial airport.

Mip is set to 0 for default though I'm experimenting with 1.3 and higher.

On the page in OTT where you can restart the service I have it set to the 2080 preset which give something like 3450 for the one setting and I have 300 for the other one.

Results.  Pretty much pinned at 40 fps (30 if asw is set to 30 hz)  

Cockpits are fairly clear, not fully, especially some of the buttons.  Use the VR zoom to read if need be.

Objects that are close are clear and get somewhat blurry further away.  Overall, not to bad from my perspective.

Hope this helps at least to get you close to what you need.

Thanks for the reply. I will try some of your settings. I have everything working now at least so I can try different settings. Cockpit is pretty clear but the ground is very jittery. Not really blurry, just not smooth.

Case: (Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL), PSU: (MEG Ai300p pcie 5 & ATX 3.0), Motherboard: (ASUS TUF Gaming x670E-PLUS WIFI 6E), CPU: (AMD Ryzen 7 7800-X3D) 

Memory: (G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6000), GPU: (Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo). CPU Cooler: (ASUS ROG Strix LC RGB 360) 

Fans: (7 Corsair LL Series 120mm RGB)

Using ASW usually resolves jittery images.  I have it set to 30hz which caps the fps and smooths things out.